ignition update install

im just about done the ignition update install. got a few questions to make sure i dont screw it up. first, the grey wire coming from ignition controller goes to rpm limit, says not used on all models. how do i tell if its used on my model? which is a 98 slh700. then in the instructions it says make sure the small black wire between battery ground and electrical box must be cut and secured away from grounds. i understand how to do it but can someone explain why this needs to be done. third, there was a weird plug in the box and the instructions dont say what its for. has a rubber plug on one end and blade 2 terminals on the other and hooked on it is a plug that loops back to itself which i assume is for securing the aforementioned ground wire. any info muchly appreciated.

+1
    1st- most SLH 700 do not have limiter,not sure why. It would protect the engine incase of overheat.
    2nd- I'm pretty sure,IF there is a bad connection on the large ground cable or to much draw from the starter,the starter ( high amperage) will use that small black wire for ground (that every thing in the elect box already needs), and it will destroy that wire. That wire is basically sent through the stator harness to the front of the engine.
    3rd- I've read the ignition system is also used on some snowmobiles. PWC do not use that connecter,don't worry about it.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Casey has it correct.

While you are in there, remove and clean the heavy negative battery cable connection at the engine. It is critical that the battery ground have clean metal-to-metal contact at the engine block.

Also clean and check the heavy red cable connection at the starter motor. Apply dielectric grease after reconnecting, to prevent corrosion at the connection.

I think the Gray CDI wire (RPM limiter) can be connected to the Tan terminal. I think there will be two other Tan wires already there. Connecting the Gray wire to the Tan terminal will allow RPM limit to occur if the engine overheat sensor activates.

If hooking up the Gray CDI RPM limit wire causes any problems, then unplug it and tape it aside.

Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    1st- most SLH 700 do not have limiter,not sure why. It would protect the engine incase of overheat.
    2nd- I'm pretty sure,IF there is a bad connection on the large ground cable or to much draw from the starter,the starter ( high amperage) will use that small black wire for ground (that every thing in the elect box already needs), and it will destroy that wire. That wire is basically sent through the stator harness to the front of the engine.
    3rd- I've read the ignition system is also used on some snowmobiles. PWC do not use that connecter,don't worry about it.
    Any idea what sleds it's used on?

thanks a bunch. gonna leave the gray wire disconnected, gonna ignore the extra plug in the box, and gonna look more closely at the ground wire and which one the instructions mean and where it goes. instructions say leaving it connected will fry the stator in short order.

gonna be cleaning and checking lots of things. im building the motor tonite and gonna be cleaning up everything before it goes in. thanks again

"locate ground wire between the battery negative post and electrical box terminal. disconnect or cut ground wirewrap remaining wire or open end in electrical tape and secure away from any source of ground failure to do so may cause premature stator failure"

that is in the instructions for the update kit. i found the wire so im gonna leave it disconnected and wrap it up. can anyone tell me why this needs to be done?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 98sltx View Post
    "locate ground wire between the battery negative post and electrical box terminal. disconnect or cut ground wirewrap remaining wire or open end in electrical tape and secure away from any source of ground failure to do so may cause premature stator failure"
    ... can anyone tell me why this needs to be done?
    Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    ...2nd- I'm pretty sure, IF there is a bad connection on the large ground cable or to much draw from the starter, the starter ( high amperage) will use that small black wire for ground (that every thing in the elect box already needs), and it will destroy that wire. ...
    Casey already explained it.

Removing that Black wire removes a possible source for an electrical fire if the heavy battery negative cable becomes a poor connection (which happens often enough).

what im getting at is that it says that leaving that wire connected will kill the stator not cause that wire to get too hot. i know starters draw alot of amperage, but that theory doesnt explain how it would fry the stator

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 98sltx View Post
    what im getting at is that it says that leaving that wire connected will kill the stator not cause that wire to get too hot.

I know starters draw a lot of amperage, but that theory doesn't explain how it would fry the stator
    If you fry the stator ground wire from the electrical box, the engine doesn't work properly. The wires from stator to electrical box are considered part of the stator.

The stator internally uses the same engine ground connection as the Black wire from stator to electrical box. Excess current flow through that stator connection to ground risks damage to the stator wiring, including the stator's internal ground link.

If the heavy ground wire from the battery to the engine block remains in very good condition, with low resistance connections at both ends, then there is no problem with the small Black wire.

If the heavy Black cable connection is not 100% good, then the risk of damage arises, unless that thin Black wire between battery and electrical box is severed.

Cut the Black wire, tape it aside, as the instructions outline.

Thread Information