Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Marine Paint vs Automotive

I am getting ready to paint my top deck and was wondering the differences in Marine vs Automotive paints. I plan on a one stage white for the top deck. Also how much paint will I need? I will be shooting it through an old skool Binks gun with a 2qt pressure pot. The ski is about the size of an RXT. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    I used less then a qt. on all my red on the MSX. Personally I used a 2 part urathane enamel(paint/hardner). I have used the interlux marine before and did not like it. I really think you want to use something with a hardner with it. Imron use to be a brand name used alot. I have shot a color coat before and use a clear 2 part over it and loved the depth look it gave.

+1
    Hit the paint store and had a long chat ended up with the imron.

I do alot of painting, I paint cars for a living and do ALOT of side paint work, I'm getting ready to do alot of parts on my GP. I will aslo be doing a over all on my Seadoo soon. But I use base coat/clear coat and the depth is so nice..Please keep me posted on your ski,Also if you need any pointers I would love to help out anyway I can...

I used the brightside with a 2 part autmotive clear over it. It has held up great.

+1
    I am trying my best on spraying a GPR. I finished the lower hull and let it dry a couple days. Flipped the hull and started to spray the primer coat. Someone forgot to cover the lower hull before starting the top. Now I have a fine mist of primer on my finished lower hull. Is there anything I can do to save my finished work on the bottom? I was thinking of a rubber wheel on a drill, but I wanted to research before doing anything, especially chemicals. I need help. It is starting to cost as much as a professional job. HELP. --J

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jpeconsult View Post
    ...Someone forgot to cover the lower hull before starting the top....
    You need to break your foot off in someone's ass!!! If you catch it in time, and the lower hull had dried long enough, a quick wipe with straight reducer can get rid of the primer mist. You gotta work quick and not rub too much. You may have to redo the clear coat on the bottom if it is too bad.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpeconsult View Post
    I am trying my best on spraying a GPR. I finished the lower hull and let it dry a couple days. Flipped the hull and started to spray the primer coat. Someone forgot to cover the lower hull before starting the top. Now I have a fine mist of primer on my finished lower hull. Is there anything I can do to save my finished work on the bottom? I was thinking of a rubber wheel on a drill, but I wanted to research before doing anything, especially chemicals. I need help. It is starting to cost as much as a professional job. HELP. --J
    Wet sand it with 2000 grit paper to remove the overspray and buff it back to a shine. It will look better than it did before the overspray.

+1
    Imron is the most durable paint on the market. Very hard to get painters to us it though.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Imron is the most durable paint on the market. Very hard to get painters to us it though.
    That's because the shit is deadly!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information