2001 951 DI RAVE valve issue

My buddy lost 500 RPMs from his DI and found the RAVE valves where pretty limy with oil and not working well. He cleaned them all up but it only worked for a short period. Found the platic caps with the Oring on top had come loose on both. Tried tightening them and broke one. Should these be locktighted? It seems like they are hanging up at the Oring. How much pressure should it take to open the RAVE valve or pull up on the blade? If you suck on the vacuum line should they work that easily or much more vacuum? I do have a vacuum gauge he did not so he tried sicking on the line.

Anyone else had issues like this

cant hurt to do it, but ive seen a few broken ones come in and wondered how much force it takes to break them.

On an 800 the rave vales are actuated by exhaust backpressure. They open when the engine revs and creates more backpressure. 800's don't use a solenoid. I think the 951 also uses pressure (from the crankcase) to open the valves. I think the solenoid is a pressure solenoid not vacuum. They both use a diapham/bellows to open.

I guess I misunderstood how they worked I assumed the line was vaccum and the selenoid allowed the vacuum threw to open the valves

The di uses air pressure to push the valve up, it gets the air from the air compressor that umps pressurized air to the injector block to mix with fuel then is injected directly into the combustion chamber.
    It's different to the 800 and 951 as they use a bellows but the Di uses a piston like thing with an oring to push up the valve when told to by the MPEM

Thread Information