Unhappy New...Polaris Virage - MFI & SPEEDO went blank

CAN YOU HELP? I am new to the boards and this is my first post, so hope I am doing it right! I'm a new PWC owner and just bought a 2002 Polaris Virage TX. The MFI and speedo stopped working, abruptly.
    Been out just once last weekend.
    It was bogging down and finding it hard to get its plane, so two days ago I changed the spark plugs and now (coincidence or cause?) the digital MFI/MFD is suddenly blank. The speedo is also pegged at 80mph!
    1. The speedo didn't work correctly even when I bought it - always at 10mph and only maxing 30mph even though we were traveling musch faster. But now it's just pegged. The is some condensation inside the glass.
    2. The MFI did not work completely in the first place - no fuel gauge bars, etc. not showing right - although it did show clock, 'unlocked' message and more.
    What I have done so far...
    SPEEDO: I blew air through the hose from speedo down to under hull fin and it is clean and clear, so it's no problem there.
    MFI: I have disconencted and checked the pins at the rear of the MFI. They seem fine. I have chanegd the MFI fuse in the electric box. I can't find a 250v 1/4 amp anywhere so used a 250v 1/2 amp.
    Still nothing.
    Any ideas anybody? You guys know way more about this than I do. Really want to go out with it this Saturday....
    Last edited by seabiscuit; 07-08-2010 at 11:28 AM. Reason: additional info

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    HELP!! I am new to the boards and this is my first post, so hope I am doing it right! I'm a new PWC owner and just bought a 2002 Polaris Virage TX.
    Been out just once last weekend.
    It was bogging down and finding it hard to get its plane, so two days ago I changed the spark plugs and now (coincidence or cause?) the digital MFI/MFD is suddenly blank. The speedo is also pegged at 80mph!
    1. The speedo didn't work correctly even when I bought it - always at 10mph and only maxing 30mph even though we were traveling musch faster. But now it's just pegged. The is some condensation inside the glass.
    2. The MFI did not work completely in the first place - no fuel gauge bars, etc. not showing right - although it did show clock, 'unlocked' message and more.
    What I have done so far...
    SPEEDO: I blew air through the hose from speedo down to under hull fin and it is clean and clear, so it's no problem there.
    MFI: I have disconencted and checked the pins at the rear of the MFI. They seem fine. I have chanegd the MFI fuse in the electric box. I can't find a 250v 1/4 amp anywhere so used a 250v 1/2 amp.
    Still nothing.
    Any ideas anybody? You guys know way more about this than I do. Really want to go out with it this Saturday....
    Welcome

Is your engine fuel injected or carburetor?

I suspect the MFI display has failed due to water and is causing problems for the engine (CDI). The MFI should be unplugged.

Until you get a replacement display, you can by-pass the security function in the display. This will allow you to ride, but you will not have any visual warning of overheat or low oil or low fuel. You must monitor these yourself.

How to unplug the MFI and still allow the engine to crank, start, and run
    If the MFI is causing trouble, or is just missing or unplugged, you can still crank, start, and run the engine using a bypass jumper

Hi K447 - I sure appreciate your help. I believe it is carb.
    I have read other threads regarding bupass of the MFI and was hoping not to have to do that, particularly as a new one is around $600+, or a third of what I paid for the ski and trailer! I don't mind if the full MFI doesn't work, but am wondering why, sitting in my garage this week, it suddenly went blank and pegged the speedo at the same time like a short occurred.
    Could it have anything to so with the new spark plugs I put in?
    Is there any obvious way to get teh MFI back to where it was partially operating - or test if it is flat out dead vs able to be slavaged?
    If there is no way to do so, I'll bypass it ofo course, but would rather not - I've only had teh ski 1 week and been on it just once.
    Thanks for any feedback you and any otehrs can provide.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Unplug and bypass the MFI. Confirm that the engine then runs as it should.

If it does NOT run properly, then there is something else that also needs fixing.

If it DOES run properly without the MFI, then the MFI is junk. They cannot be repaired.

Good used MFI are available for less than $600.

i have the same problem with the mfd going out on my wifes ski i would like to know how to use a bypass jumper to make sure that is the problem. and how do you go about doing it. any help will be appreciated. thanks

he who dies with the most toys....WIN!!!!!!!!!!

i have a mfi that i will sell

i have a mfi works great out of a 2002 tx
    i'm asking 350 for it
    let me know
    also have other parts for this ski
    parting out 2002 virage tx

Thread Information