yamaha waveraider 1100 vs 1200gp

I have about 2-3k to spend it is a toss up between a 96 waveraider 1100 vs 97-99 1200gp

Experience:
    I have ridden new jet skis and i recently rode a 701 94' waveraider and thing was fun to ride but its a little weak to pull ppl and it felt like it was struggling until it was planned out and I know pulling people constantly with it will wear it out quick. I have heard the 1100 is like the 700 in terms of ride quality but ride quality doesnt concern me and i dont care about getting wet (that is the reason with being on the lake). The 701 I have heard is really reliable and it was ok on gas.

things to keep in mind:
    1. will be pulling people (tube/ski/hydroslide) but doesnt require spotter where I live, only mirrors.
    2. speed is not that big of a factor as both go 50+
    3. reliabilty is a factor
    4. cost to replace/fix parts is a factor
    5. gas is somewhat of a factor (I do plan on running premix since these are old unless you think a oil injection system is up to par somehow)

things i have heard about both:
    waveraider 1100- not for the faint of heart, very fast ski, will throw you off

97-99 1200gp - non pv engine so no pv/cat issue. porpoise a lot but I dont ride often in chop water, bad on gas, turn and ride 2 ppl good, look awesome. the 97 suffers from some kind of hull issue but not sure how to tell that.

I figure both are bout the same on gas as there is only 100cc difference.

p.s. what is good compression numbers for both and how do i inspect the crank and impellar for problems

thanks for any input.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by joeggernaut View Post
    I have about 2-3k to spend it is a toss up between a 96 waveraider 1100 vs 97-99 1200gp

Experience:
    I have ridden new jet skis and i recently rode a 701 94' waveraider and thing was fun to ride but its a little weak to pull ppl and it felt like it was struggling until it was planned out and I know pulling people constantly with it will wear it out quick. I have heard the 1100 is like the 700 in terms of ride quality but ride quality doesnt concern me and i dont care about getting wet (that is the reason with being on the lake). The 701 I have heard is really reliable and it was ok on gas.

things to keep in mind:
    1. will be pulling people (tube/ski/hydroslide) but doesnt require spotter where I live, only mirrors.
    2. speed is not that big of a factor as both go 50+
    3. reliabilty is a factor
    4. cost to replace/fix parts is a factor
    5. gas is somewhat of a factor (I do plan on running premix since these are old unless you think a oil injection system is up to par somehow)

things i have heard about both:
    waveraider 1100- not for the faint of heart, very fast ski, will throw you off

97-99 1200gp - non pv engine so no pv/cat issue. porpoise a lot but I dont ride often in chop water, bad on gas, turn and ride 2 ppl good, look awesome. the 97 suffers from some kind of hull issue but not sure how to tell that.

I figure both are bout the same on gas as there is only 100cc difference.

p.s. what is good compression numbers for both and how do i inspect the crank and impellar for problems

thanks for any input.
    I would go with the 1200. The hull is a much better design and getting thrown off won't be as much of an issue. The main problem with the 1100 is that hull was not really designed to handle the additional weight of the 1100cc engine vs. the 701, thus the bucking bronco issue. What year 1200 is it? This is important because the trim tab issue that was a problem (they started to pull away from the hull) for the 1997 model and early 98s was corrected. If not, you can buy those tabs from Riva for not too much $$. The 1200 has a lot of low end grunt, 20 more hp than the 1100, but it will be bad on gas especially if you are pulling tubers....
    but the overall technology is better on the 1200. If the motors are stock and haven't been run out of oil at some point, they should be fine. I can't remember compression #s right now, sorry.

As for the crank and impeller, get under the boat if you can abd look up into the intake at the impeller. If it is nicked/dinged badly that can hurt performance. A good stainless replacement can cost a few hundred but you may be able to find a nice used one on this forum if needed. For the crankshaft, if you can convince the owner to remove the crankcase cover at the rear of the engine compartment, you can get a good look at the crankshaft. If it looks corroded it may mean the ski was swamped at some point, or at least riden with a lot of water in the engine compartment.

Hope this helps. And be sure to get a test drive on whatever one you are looking at. Never buy a ski without a test drive. If the owner balks then don't do business with him....I would hate for you to buy it without a test and find out its got a major problem....but you probably know that...sorry if I am being too elementary on that point

naa its not elementary. ive only known the basics of a jet ski. i have rebuilt a few carbs and know a 2 storke motor good but jet skis are different. someone on pwctoday recommended a kawy ultra 150 or 1100 zxi. are those also good options considering 2-3k limit?

13gph on the 1200gp just seems miserable and dont want to pay as much in gas as a ski boat takes...

+1
    If you're pulling folks the porpoising on the GP will be an issue. Get an extended ride plate (Ocean Pro if you can find one) and that'll help a lot. Once that's done, along with a scoop grate, I'd take the GP. Not to mention the fact that the GP paint jobs are still current while the "Miami Vice" colored raiders are very dated.
    I pull with a '98 xl1200 (non-pv) with 214 hrs on it. No porpoising, no cavitation, no problems.

+1
    Forgot about compression. Checked last week on the 1200 and it was showing 110 to 112 per cylinder.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    1200 is a very thirsty ski. its not so much from the displacement increase as it is the 44mm carbs Vs the 38's on the 1100.

Honestly, and i don't know what they actually sell for, but Id suggest a gp760 or a gp 800. the raider hull is not suited for pulling anything. the flat bottom means that whatever you pull will be steering for you. the gp hull handles better, is more comfortable and has alot more storage. Its also alot of fun.

+1
    The ultra 150 and 1100 would not be good for pulling, imo. The ultra was meant for top speed....not sure how it would do pulling. We have always owned Yamahas due to their bulletproof engines. There's a good reason nearly all rental companies use Yamahas...just my 2 cents anyway. The guy on my lake with an ultra 150 was always having issues

+1
    I got lucky and found my GP1200R for $2600...with only 94 hours. Look around for a later model w power valves...they do so much better on gas...and you can remove the catalytic converter pretty easily and the block off plate isn't expensive....

Thread Information