Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question Pro 785 CDI wiring HELP urgent....!

Ok, as per ph2ocrafts directions:

Here you go.

I just verified the operation of the PRO CDI in the 93 750 today, it's perfect thus far, we'll see how it does once the triples are in.

I'm showing the working RPM's of the 97 PRO785 is 7500RPm and the limiter is set at 7800 RPM. It also has 32 degrees advance at 3,000 RPM so I think it's going to work VERY well with the triples on the 750 (I can't wait). We'll see if I'll run it on 92 or if I need a little VP110.

The PRO wires up much easier than I initially thought and goes as follows.
    Blue/Red from CDI to Blue/Red from the stator
    Red/White from CDI to Red/White from the stator
    Green/Red from CDI to Green/White from Stator
    White/Yellow from CDI to White/Yellow from Stator
    Black/Yellow from CDI to Black/Yellow from Stop Switch
    Black to Battery Ground
    Black to Box Ground

I then seperated the wires from the coil pack and wired with individual pig tails as follows.
    Black/Green from CDI to Black/White on PTO Coil
    Black/Orange from CDI to Black/White on Center Coil
    Black/White from CDI to Black/White on MAG Coil
    Black from CDI to Black from Coil Grounds.

I capped off the following wires from the CDI as I have no use for the exhaust valve electrical signals
    White/Black
    White/Red
    Light Green
    Green
    Red/White

The last couple of wires
    Tan from CDI to Tan from Temp sensor
    Red/Purple from CDI to Red/purple at LR23
    Yellow/Black from CDI to Yellow/Black from CDI (you read correctly)

I am having some major issues and I need quick help because I need to get this done, it's getting ready to rain ...

Anyway I have attached 3 pics of my CDI box opened

Here goes...

From the pro CDI box there is TWO red/white wires, one with female end and the other with male! One is for the exhaust sensor, one goes to the stator! Which one? Mine that comes from the stator has a male end... so I assume the exhaust sensor one is the male and the stator one is the female, which would be a correct match...?

Also, regarding the coil pack... I have three coils that were wired together... black from one coil would go to black/white on the other... I have a picture showing what I mean... now all black leads from the coils are female... so are the ground leads from the CDI! this means... I have to switch all three to male from the CDI?

Also, I am confused as to which coil is which? which is mag, etc? I have a picture if of all three in their set places.. if you guys could just refer to my picture that way I'll know which is which coil...

Thanks, I can't wait for you guy's input!

Jared
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2415.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	9059   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2416.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	9060   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2417.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	9061  

Which coil is which? I don't understand the terms "mag" I know center "Duh" but "PTO" perhaps if you can tell me which cylinder is which, i can follow the plug leads to the cooresponding coils and I'll know which coil is which... I am confused and I can't find any info on it anywhere. People either refer to the cylinders as "front, back, center" and they stay referred to as that throughout the whole post.. or they refer from the beginning as "mag, pto, center" and the references do not change... So I am confused.. the front cylinder is that the "mag" cylinder? (front being closest to the front of the boat) If I know that then I will know which wire to connect to which coil.. but I still do not know about the two red/white wires coming from the CDI.. one being female, and one being male.. while one being an exhaust temp sensor, and one going to the stator... I assume the female one is the correct one to use as it fits to the male red/white wire coming from the stator. Also, after reading somebody else's post on the pro cdi here... I need to switch all the ground coil plugs from the CDI to male?

Jared

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    I'm no wiring expert but MAG is the front magneto with the stator, and PTO is the rear by the drive-shaft Power Take Off.

yea, that right

That's what I assumed... I just got done hooking it up... Fired for a quick rev in the driveway, instantly to the new rev limiter of 7700, but ONLY for a sec to prevent damage... so it's working... Man it sounds awsome with the timing curve, I can't wait to get it on the water tommorrow. I wired it for front cylinder = mag, rear = PTO, and center = center. I also wired of the two red/white wires coming from the the new CDI.. the female end which fit with the male red/white wire coming from the stator. So, I can only HOPE that the other red/white identical wire with the mismatched end (male) was the one for the unused exhaust temp sensor wires which I capped off and bundled up. The worst part was fitting that damn thing in there. The pro cdi is much bigger then the stock sl780 cdi.. I had to do some tricks to get it in there... but it is fairly secured.

The true test will be tommorrow.

Anything I should watch out for (IE hint something isn't right?)

Sounded SWEEEEET in the driveway..

Jared

The 750 wired the coils in series and they fired at the same time . the 785 ign fired then separately . thats why the 785 ign has a black wire with 3 female ends on, one for each coil.

Yeah, I had to switch the three coil ground wires to male ends... and I had to use new female connectors and cut off the male ends off the others to make it work.. basically reverse all the coil connections coming from the CDI... dirtkidracing, do you know why there was two red/white striped wires coming from the CDI and which (or if it matters) one goes to the stator, and which goes to the unused exhaust temp sensors (for the pro model)? There is a picture showing the two same color wires, one with female and one with male. I used the female to the stator.

Jared

I didnt have to change the ends on the red and white wire, it should just plug together. If I remember right all the wires I didnt use were about the same length I think the one I didnt use was the one with the male end and I just taped that one up. sounds like you got it right!

**** it's cold and cloudy outside today ! I want to take it to the lake.. but I don't think I'd enjoy it as much (yesterday, when I worked all day, it was 87 and sunny!!!!!! )

Pissed off here!

Hopefully that wasn't the last good day of the season!

Jared

Umkay... it's definatly faster on acceleration... instantly top speed and RPM it seems... though if I try to feather the throttle and go slow (like going through a no wake zone... clearly I can hear sputtering/missing... I'm not kein on carb adjustment.. but is that what it needs now?

I am running 93 octane fuel only.

Suggestions would be much appreciated!

But it does run and runs well! just for the sputtering at low seeds and occasionally if I gun it, it will choke for a second... but mostly just halls ass.

Thanks
    Jared

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information