+1

Adding VTS to 06 RXT

I am in the process of adding VTS to my 06 RXT. I am building my own wiring harness less the trim switch. I want to avoid changing instrument panels and activating it on buds. I will pull power from the MPEM so it is only active when the DESS key is in. So far I have the motor responding to up and down commands. I hooked up the trim gauge from my boat using the brown/white brown/black and purple/ white wires from the VTS module. The gauge responds to motor movement but only uses about 20% of the needle sweep.

Has anyone tried the gauge from a 97 XP? The wiring color code is the same I just don't know if the power requirements are similar to what the current VTS modules are putting out.

I have read GUs13Letter's how to and talked to Gus. I am just deviating on the electrical side.

Any help or sugestions on using an external trim gauge would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Helinut View Post
    I am in the process of adding VTS to my 06 RXT. I am building my own wiring harness less the trim switch. I want to avoid changing instrument panels and activating it on buds. I will pull power from the MPEM so it is only active when the DESS key is in. So far I have the motor responding to up and down commands. I hooked up the trim gauge from my boat using the brown/white brown/black and purple/ white wires from the VTS module. The gauge responds to motor movement but only uses about 20% of the needle sweep.

Has anyone tried the gauge from a 97 XP? The wiring color code is the same I just don't know if the power requirements are similar to what the current VTS modules are putting out.

I have read GUs13Letter's how to and talked to Gus. I am just deviating on the electrical side.

Any help or sugestions on using an external trim gauge would be appreciated.
    Contact Tiburon1264, He has the VTS installed on his 06 RXT. It looks and operates like factory. He's a great guy and I'm certain he would be more the willing to help you out.

Sorry, I should have read the entire post. Tiburon1264 did the same thing as Gus I believe. Where are you located?

+1
    Thanks, I will contact Tiburon1264. My riding partner has Gus13Letters 06 RXT that has VTS added also. That is what convinced me to add it to mine. I have access to it anytime i need to check things out. I think I will try the 97 XP trim gauge they are available on Ebay.

+1
    If you are not going to use the dash gauge for your trim meter, then you can just connect the wires from the vts switch to the vts directly. You can control the vts by pressing the up and down button, but you won't know where the trim is at. You will be doing it by feel.

The vts button has these 3 wires on it.
    The blue/white wire controls UP
    The green/white wire controls DOWN
    The black wire is a ground.

Just connect the first 2 wires to the vts motor. On the vts motor, you will have a red (connect to battery - fuse this), and a purple wire. The purple wire you can also connect to the battery if you want it to be left on at all times or you can connect it to the purple wire so it can turn on with the ski. If you do connect it to the battery, it will not drain your battery unless someone is messing with the vts switch 24/7!

Send me a pm if you have any questions. I did install vts to my 2006 RXT, and it was quite easy.

+1
    Krochchocolate thanks, I went ahead and ordered a 97 XP VTS gauge from EBay. It should work it has purple (+12V switched)and Black -12V in and brown/black,brown /white, Purple and black out which will go to the VTS. They only unknown at this time is what is the operating range on the 97 gauge. The VTS module puts out 1-5 volts from full up to full down. On a Mercury trim gauge that equates to a 1/4 inch of needle movement.

I have it all wired up on my workbench and it works fine with the switch. I am now just waiting on some Deutschs connectors and quality automotive wire. I should have it installed along with Riva open loop cooling and ride plate by next weekend.

Thread Information