Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 6k in hand

6k in hand

(somewhat hypothetical)

so you have 6k to buy yourself a used ski. whats the best bang for the buck?
    ~only stock or lightly modded.

+1
    Well, with $6K you have a choice of some good used skis from Sea-Doo, Yamaha or Honda, but I definitely go with a 4 stroke, they are very fuel efficient, reliable and will do much better for you come resale time.

Try and find one with low hours and still under an extended warranty that is transferrable to your name. Personally, I would not own a PWC without a warranty.

You can probably get a new Honda for that price if you can find a dealer with some older stock laying around his showroom. They are no longer making them, but they made a pretty good PWC and they are really cheap now.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    I bought my 06 RXP stage 1.5 with 49 hours on it and came with a brand new Yacht Club Trailer for 6K....

really? i was thinking the 2 strokes would be lighter, more power with a smaller engine, also easier to fix...

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Well, with $6K you have a choice of some good used skis from Sea-Doo, Yamaha or Honda, but I definitely go with a 4 stroke, they are very fuel efficient, reliable and will do much better for you come resale time.

Try and find one with low hours and still under an extended warranty that is transferrable to your name. Personally, I would not own a PWC without a warranty.

You can probably get a new Honda for that price if you can find a dealer with some older stock laying around his showroom. They are no longer making them, but they made a pretty good PWC and they are really cheap now.

bought my stock 2005 rxp with 39 hrs on it for 5700 with a trailer.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Horus View Post
    really? i was thinking the 2 strokes would be lighter, more power with a smaller engine, also easier to fix...
    2 stroke PWC are dinosaurs. You make a good point about the power stroke and fixing them, but I would still go with a 4 stroke; they are simply MUCH better starting, they are very fuel efficient, reliable and will do much better for you come resale time.

After many years of various 2 stroke marine engines, I would never go back to mixing oil in the fuel, it gums everything up and they are a pain in the azz in my experience. I still shake my head when I see people trying to start them, sputtering and smoking at the dock. I can tell you for a fact, when 4 strokes hit the outboard and PWC industries, thousands of rental operations and commercial fleets dumped their 2 strokes and switched immediately for the fuel savings ALONE.

And I won't even go into keeping unburned fuel out of the environment. Bluewater Network and other radical groups used the pollution statistics from 2 strokes to almost totally destroy the PWC industry back in the 90's.
    I do agree with your point about costly repairs, but the day to day benefits of 4 strokes outweigh the negatives by far.

+1
    4 stroke if possible. Honda is the longest lasting least maint., but SD would be a little faster and have more aftermarket parts available.

Try for a freshwater only boat.

+1
    im pretty sure you can pick up a brand new left oer honda for around that..

i agree with getting a 4 stroke but i own 2 strokes.. they are way less to repair... and the starting of them is not that much of a pain..mine normally fires first shot or sometimes a little choke then she stays running..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ryandi2 View Post
    im pretty sure you can pick up a brand new left oer honda for around that..

i agree with getting a 4 stroke but i own 2 strokes.. they are way less to repair... and the starting of them is not that much of a pain..mine normally fires first shot or sometimes a little choke then she stays running..
    I see your point and a good 2 stroke can be purchased for much less. My brother in law just got 2 04 Yami 3 seater 2 strokes for 2K and they both run great. But if I had 6k in my hand I would go for a 4stroke.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I see your point and a good 2 stroke can be purchased for much less. My brother in law just got 2 04 Yami 3 seater 2 strokes for 2K and they both run great. But if I had 6k in my hand I would go for a 4stroke.

i agree with you, but im pretty sure if i had 6k id be building a gprxp

i have 1k into the ski i use the most..oh wait i mean 1040.. cant forget the gasket kit...

and i love this thing.. put over 50 hours on it since may of this summer.. but if i had the cash and if i could fit a 4stroke in my ski i would, i love the ride of these oldies

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information