Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: 6k in hand

  1. #1
    Horus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Long Island, N.Y.
    Posts
    169

    6k in hand

    (somewhat hypothetical)

    so you have 6k to buy yourself a used ski. whats the best bang for the buck?
    ~only stock or lightly modded.


  2. #2
    YoYamma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    21,592
    +1
    4,798
    Well, with $6K you have a choice of some good used skis from Sea-Doo, Yamaha or Honda, but I definitely go with a 4 stroke, they are very fuel efficient, reliable and will do much better for you come resale time.

    Try and find one with low hours and still under an extended warranty that is transferrable to your name. Personally, I would not own a PWC without a warranty.

    You can probably get a new Honda for that price if you can find a dealer with some older stock laying around his showroom. They are no longer making them, but they made a pretty good PWC and they are really cheap now.

  3. #3
    flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mahomet, Il. USA
    Posts
    6,004
    +1
    163
    I bought my 06 RXP stage 1.5 with 49 hours on it and came with a brand new Yacht Club Trailer for 6K....

  4. #4
    Horus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Long Island, N.Y.
    Posts
    169
    really? i was thinking the 2 strokes would be lighter, more power with a smaller engine, also easier to fix...

    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Well, with $6K you have a choice of some good used skis from Sea-Doo, Yamaha or Honda, but I definitely go with a 4 stroke, they are very fuel efficient, reliable and will do much better for you come resale time.

    Try and find one with low hours and still under an extended warranty that is transferrable to your name. Personally, I would not own a PWC without a warranty.

    You can probably get a new Honda for that price if you can find a dealer with some older stock laying around his showroom. They are no longer making them, but they made a pretty good PWC and they are really cheap now.

  5. #5
    mudbug660's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lafayette, La
    Posts
    57
    bought my stock 2005 rxp with 39 hrs on it for 5700 with a trailer.

  6. #6
    YoYamma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    21,592
    +1
    4,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Horus View Post
    really? i was thinking the 2 strokes would be lighter, more power with a smaller engine, also easier to fix...
    2 stroke PWC are dinosaurs. You make a good point about the power stroke and fixing them, but I would still go with a 4 stroke; they are simply MUCH better starting, they are very fuel efficient, reliable and will do much better for you come resale time.

    After many years of various 2 stroke marine engines, I would never go back to mixing oil in the fuel, it gums everything up and they are a pain in the azz in my experience. I still shake my head when I see people trying to start them, sputtering and smoking at the dock. I can tell you for a fact, when 4 strokes hit the outboard and PWC industries, thousands of rental operations and commercial fleets dumped their 2 strokes and switched immediately for the fuel savings ALONE.

    And I won't even go into keeping unburned fuel out of the environment. Bluewater Network and other radical groups used the pollution statistics from 2 strokes to almost totally destroy the PWC industry back in the 90's.
    I do agree with your point about costly repairs, but the day to day benefits of 4 strokes outweigh the negatives by far.

  7. #7
    Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,004
    +1
    406
    4 stroke if possible. Honda is the longest lasting least maint., but SD would be a little faster and have more aftermarket parts available.

    Try for a freshwater only boat.

  8. #8
    ryandi2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    conesus ny!
    Posts
    2,092
    +1
    19
    im pretty sure you can pick up a brand new left oer honda for around that..

    i agree with getting a 4 stroke but i own 2 strokes.. they are way less to repair... and the starting of them is not that much of a pain..mine normally fires first shot or sometimes a little choke then she stays running..

  9. #9
    Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,004
    +1
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by ryandi2 View Post
    im pretty sure you can pick up a brand new left oer honda for around that..

    i agree with getting a 4 stroke but i own 2 strokes.. they are way less to repair... and the starting of them is not that much of a pain..mine normally fires first shot or sometimes a little choke then she stays running..
    I see your point and a good 2 stroke can be purchased for much less. My brother in law just got 2 04 Yami 3 seater 2 strokes for 2K and they both run great. But if I had 6k in my hand I would go for a 4stroke.

  10. #10
    ryandi2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    conesus ny!
    Posts
    2,092
    +1
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I see your point and a good 2 stroke can be purchased for much less. My brother in law just got 2 04 Yami 3 seater 2 strokes for 2K and they both run great. But if I had 6k in my hand I would go for a 4stroke.

    i agree with you, but im pretty sure if i had 6k id be building a gprxp


    i have 1k into the ski i use the most..oh wait i mean 1040.. cant forget the gasket kit...

    and i love this thing.. put over 50 hours on it since may of this summer.. but if i had the cash and if i could fit a 4stroke in my ski i would, i love the ride of these oldies

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. WTB 2005+ GP1300R - Near Tampa, FL - Cash in hand ready to buy!
    By Gus13letter in forum Yamaha 2 Stroke Skis
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-23-2010, 11:34 PM
  2. WTB WTB SXR New England area, cash in hand
    By twinturbostang in forum Kawasaki Classifieds
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-17-2010, 10:42 AM
  3. FS 05 RXT hull with title in hand
    By RiseXagainst42 in forum Sea Doo Classifieds
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-09-2010, 10:12 PM
  4. 2007 GP1300R for sale w/ Trailer $6500, TITLE IN HAND
    By GP1300RnPVB in forum Yamaha 2 Stroke Skis
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-25-2008, 02:43 PM
  5. WTB Polaris 750 engine $ in hand
    By mossmadnes in forum Polaris Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-04-2008, 10:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •