+1

Should you replace all bolts when rebuilding motor?

BMW/Porsche mechanic buddy of mine says that he replaces all block and head bolts when he rebuilds a motor. Says they are made to stretch and are no good once removed. Do you all use new bolts to put the crankcase and cylinders back together? This being my first rebuild, ('01 XLT1200), I'd like to get it right.
    Also, do you clean crankcase covers and cylinders with just parts cleaner? What is soda blasting? Who does it?
    Thanks.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by toyterrific View Post
    BMW/Porsche mechanic buddy of mine says that he replaces all block and head bolts when he rebuilds a motor. Says they are made to stretch and are no good once removed. Do you all use new bolts to put the crankcase and cylinders back together? This being my first rebuild, ('01 XLT1200), I'd like to get it right.
    Also, do you clean crankcase covers and cylinders with just parts cleaner? What is soda blasting? Who does it?
    Thanks.
    They are not torque to yield bolts so they can be reused, I clean all my engine parts with mineral spirits.

+1
    i clean mine as well with a re-threading tool, re-apply appropriate type of lock-tite and torque to spec

+1
    I always run mine through the wire wheel on the bench grinder and reuse them.

+1
    However.... if you want to replace the bolts with something different, you can go to boltdepot.com and order several different styles. I replaced the head bolts on my GPR with socket head bolts.
    Name:  socket-head.gif
Views: 200
Size:  2.9 KB

And I replaced a lot of the ones on the exterior with button head sockets.
    Name:  socket-button.gif
Views: 212
Size:  3.0 KB

Bolt Depot has all of these in just about any size and length you want, in stainless steel. I've had good luck with them. They even sell stainless bolt covers with different designs on them if you want to really bling it out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bolt-cover-smooth-large.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	204568Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bolt-cover-skull-large.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	204569Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bolt-cover-flame-large.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	204566Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bolt-cover-eagle-large.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	204567
    Attached Images Attached Images  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by toyterrific View Post
    Thanks.
    I've built and rebuilt many of my Porsche (street and race) motors. We always replace the head bolts (note: this is for the earlier air cooled engines and is not applicable to the new water cooled engines) with aftermarket studs (usually Raceware). Once you replace them you can reuse them forever. I've had the heads off and on one of my motors probably a dozen times over the past 10 years and there are no problems with the studs. Same goes for the Rod bolts. If you buy good hardware (Arp), they can be reused. The regular bolts on the block (e.g. case half) are not torqued that tight and can be reused. That being said, I don't know anything about the hardware in PWC's...yet.

I would think that cleaning with parts cleaner is perfectly fine. Soda blasting is just that. Instead of "sand" for blasting (high pressure air feeds the sand at high velocity at the part) where you use glass bead or actual sand. For "soda" blasting you use baking soda. The sand will damage the surface on soft metals like aluminum, but the soda is soft and will not harm the surfaces. I really don't think there would be a need for that unless you already have the equipment.

Thread Information