Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    97 Kawasaki STX 1100

What causes the PTO outer seal to push itself out...

95 polaris SL 750 - Im having a problem with my rear outer pto seal pushing itself out while driving on the lake...
    I melted a piston recently and had noticed my rear pto seal was not in straight. I replaced the cylinder head and piston honed the jug and put it all back together. I tapped the pto seal in straight and checked for leaks. It passed the leak test.... I took it out and it ran great. I pulled over to inspect everything and noticed the seal was sitting cock eyed again.. I got in there and straightened it again before any damage was caused and took it back to the boat launch... After removing it from the lake, I pulled the seat again and looked down and the seal was cock eyed again.... Can crank case pressure cause this? and if so what would cause this.. Other wise maybe just a worn seal or something... Im able to straighten the seal with my fingers now.... Im thinking I can pull the drive shaft and get in there and maybe just replace the outer seal without splitting the case.... Has anyone else had this problem? Ive herd of the seals wearing out and causeing leaks but just pushing there way out? The inner seal has a metal ridge around it so the case would have to be split to replace it... The outer seal is just like a rear transmission seal flat....

I install them with a thin layer of threebond 1211 and let it cure before running it.

97 Kawasaki STX 1100
    Quote Originally Posted by thester71 View Post
    I install them with a thin layer of threebond 1211 and let it cure before running it.
    So do you think thats the problem with this seal? Also if I remove the drive shaft what direction do I turn the shaft on the end of the crankshaft to loosen it? Im guessing I will need to use the rope method to loosen it?

97 Kawasaki STX 1100
    Were do I buy the threebond 1211?

I always had this issue on my SL as well. I didnt think it was that big of a deal, since the PTO wasnt running lean, and there was two seals there.

Its just the outer of the two seals, correct? The inner one I coated with threebond, so im sure it sealed quite well, and it had the metal clip built into hold it in place.

97 Kawasaki STX 1100
    Quote Originally Posted by ZOMGVTEK View Post
    I always had this issue on my SL as well. I didnt think it was that big of a deal, since the PTO wasnt running lean, and there was two seals there.

Its just the outer of the two seals, correct? The inner one I coated with threebond, so im sure it sealed quite well, and it had the metal clip built into hold it in place.
    Wow, are you serious...... It is the rear outer seal but I did burn a hole in my piston so its obviously running lean...
    I dont know how well they sealed the case around the inner seal so it maybe getting by the outer edges of the seal..Im guessing this is why theres a rear outer seal there....

Turn the pto coupler counterclockwise to remove it, use red locktite when you install it.
    I buy all my sealants from eBay.
    If your still worried after installing the seal, perform a leakdown test.
    As for the outer seal not being important... If it was not needed it wouldn't be there

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Turn the pto coupler counterclockwise to remove it, use red locktite when you install it...
    From the 2001 Service Manual, page 3.44;

Apply a light film of grease to PTO end crankshaft threads. Hand tighten drive coupler.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mogyver69 View Post
    ... It is the rear outer seal but I did burn a hole in my piston so its obviously running lean...
    I dont know how well they sealed the case around the inner seal so it maybe getting by the outer edges of the seal..Im guessing this is why theres a rear outer seal there....
    Message from a little birdie

"Most likely he used “aftermarket” seals that never fit the same as OEM.
    OR..
    The crankshaft could be out of true, as this will cause the seal to vibrate out, and the index should be checked as he already roasted a piston..."

+1
    Pull the motor, break the cases and do it right, use threadbond and check the inner seal too. buy oem seals. replace front and back. Then leakdown test it. I wouldnt take the chance myself. it already blew out once and its trying to again.. unless you like buy pistons!. just my 2 cents.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information