In-line fuel Filters

On our 1999 Spx, we have pulled and cleaned the tank, replaced all the fuel lines, cleaned all the filters, changed the fuel selector, had the carbs rebuilt, took it out and ran better than ever. Took it out a week later and back to bogging on acceleration and only idling. Pulled the filters in the carbs and they are dirty. I don't understand where it is coming from if everything has been replaced and cleaned? It was suggested that we leave the filters out of the carbs and put inline filters in? Has anyone done this? Any other suggestions on something to try, or would this be the solution? Thanks!

+1
    Are the filters clogged up with black fine pieces of rubber?

It was more like fine sand, kinda tarish. Only one was really bad and full, the other had just a bit

+1
    When you pulled the tank did you re-use that same gas? was it old? Hopefully you filled up with fresh gas?

You said "cleaned all filters". I'd replace them (fuel filter, internal carb filters), they're cheap enough.

+1
    Did you clean the fuel/water separator as you never seemed to mentioned it ?
    I remember once I changed fuel lines on a xpl and cleaned all the system from tank to carbs and had the same thing happen.It was the new fuel line internal surface breaking down only where you slide the hose over the fuel spigot's as it was a tight fit. When I forced it on it would rub away ever so slightly internally.Multiply this by all the spigot's it ends up in the filters again.
    I tell people to remove the filters in the carbs all together as the fuel/water separator has the same micron filter element in it.
    And if anything does get by the particles are small enough to pass through the low speed jets (smallest) any how which is where the problem occurs all the time.

Thread Information