Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GP vs GPR

I'd rather be jet skiing Saltwater n Premix's Avatar
    +1

GP vs GPR

Hey everyone new to Greenhulk but liking what I see so far. Anyway here goes, I'm looking to get rid of my bike (03 KTM 300 EXC 2 STROKE Road legal capability) if anybody is interested.. Yea prbly not on the jetski forum haha.. and my turd 97 750 ZXi. In short I'm trying to decide which ski will be best for me. I'll have a budget of approx $3000 so newer 4 strokes are almost out of the question. I want it to have good top speed, jump waves good, be able to ride 2 up occasionally (not my first priority), and I'm coming from a standup so I'd like something relatively maneuverable. I know a guy with an Ultra 250 and I'd like to "keep up" with him and also another guy with a GP1300R. Would a GP 1200 have a chance against either of them or is the hull design inferior for top speed? I'm considering 97-99 GP 1200's or GPR's or if an Ultra 150 came along at a reasonable price I'd consider that but I haven't found one in my price range and price might be the definitive factor here.. Thanks

I cant really anwser your question, as I am a new owner myself, but I just bought a 2005 GP1300R for my self for $4250. The thing is fast! Cant wait to start modding it!

Good luck in your choice!

+1
    Can anyone tell me if a GP1200 modded could beat, keep up with, or even just out accelerate a 1300 because the guy who has it is a complete tool. If possible how much would I need to mod it?

+1
    My 97 humiliates a stock GP1300R in a drag race and has a few mph on them up top. Mine is ported, milled head, aftermaket flame arrestors, R&D plate and grate, and a repitched Solas J prop. Stock for stock a GP will accelerate with a 1300 up to about 50mph. With just a few bolt ons (head, flame arrestors and prop) a GP will beat a stock 1300 until topend. If you go the GP route, I highly recommend sending the motor to Group K for a pump gas sleeper kit. I have 260hrs on my Group K motor and its still going strong.

I also have a GP1300R with similar mods to the GP, and the GPR is 9-10 mph faster than my GP. I have never raced them against each other in a drag put I suspect its very close until 60 and then its all GPR.

Banned User
    My buddy is selling a GPR1200 for $3,500 ported and a freshly RIVA rebuilt engine with receipts from riva. 40 Hours on it. PM me if interested.

+1
    Thank you sleeper that is exactly what I wanted to know I'm selling off my current "fleet" of skis/ bikes and finding a GP. I saw in your sig that you hit 70 that sounds just fine to me especially it being a pump gas sleeper knowing there's more power capability available if I desire. Being as you have both skis how do they compare in rough water?

+1
    I have hit 70+ on 4 different occassions. It ran 64-65 when I got the motor back from Group K. I gained the other 5 mph from filling in the bolts holes underneath, shimming the ride plate down in the front, and lots of grinding and sanding underneath to make sure nothing hung down and scrubbed speed. I have a ton of time in the hull. Don't expect the hit 70 without doing some tweaking to the hull. If you get a GP, get with me and I will guide you through what needs to be done underneath.

Depending on how you have the ride plate shimmed and what the trim tabs are shimmed at on the GPR, greatly effects the rough water ride and handling. GPR's can be set up to be smooth water queens or set up to handle the chop good for a relatively small hull. I would say the GPR handles the chop a little better than the GP. You really have to move your body weight around on the GP to get the most out of it in chop.

+1
    Do you do much ocean riding? Would you say the GP is an all out pain in the ass in rough/ choppy water? Ocean swells? On either the ocean or bay near me I'm almost guaranteed never to find glass. I'm still young (20 yrs old) so I can take a bit of a beating If the ski can handle the conditions. I hear the GPR is a great jumper also and handles rough stuff good but it just seems so damn heavy to me.. I'm gonna try to get the guy with the GPR1300 to let me test drive his but hes a bit of a weenie so I'm not gonna hold my breath on that one..

+1
    Neither of them are great in choppy water compared to the 900lbs+ new 4-strokes. I don't do any ocean riding but I know the GP is fun in big swells out on the lake I ride in. The GPR is about 150lbs heavier than the GP, but is still considered light by todays standards.

+1
    Thank you again sleeper I think I'm gonna look at a few GP's in the next week or so after some overdue money rolls in

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information