Question Just aquired a FREE 95' SLX...lots of questions?!?!

Hello everyone, hopefully all my questions could be answered here...

I just aquired a 1995 SLX from my aunt (the original owner). It was running poor and the local dealers didnt want to mess with it so she gave up on selling it and gave it to me to tinker/ fix for myself.

1.) Its running flat on the top end. Last I messed with it in the water 2 years ago, it would start, idle and run until about mid RPM. Then when you would go wide open it wouldnt have the power to break plane. BUT, if you rocked the pump out of the water at WOT and got the RPMs on the rev limiter and keep it there it would take off and pull hard. Lift of the throttle and it would bog and do the same thing over again.....thoughts or opinions besides rebuilding the carbs???

2.) The MFD doesnt work, the stickers are peeling (I would like to paint it), all the pastic trim/ rear handle is sun faded and cracking....Is there anywhere to get new, black, rub rails, nose plastic and body trim pieces???...I HATE the faded purple ones!

3.) Even when the ski was new, it never had alot of snap out of the hole. You would go WOT and it would rev and gradually get up on plane, then it would fly. A same year comparable sea-doo would leap clean out of the water with the trim up where this SLX didnt have near the snap or snot of the sea-doo...Is there any way to fix or change this??

4.) Is there any companies left that make performace parts for these things??? High compression pistons, intake grates, ride plates, impellors, exhausts??? I remember hot seat had alot but cant find much.

5.) Last but not least, is there anything else I should do or need to know before I tear into this thing and start replacing stuff???

I was always happy with the top speed, how hard it pulled once on plane and how it handled...just really wish it had that pop from a stop...you guys know the kind im talking about...whack the go stick with the trim up and wheelie it up and out of the water, land it and take off.

Thank you all in advance...I will be checking this thread often...just really wanna get it running right first.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Have a look at the links below

1.) Its running flat on the top end. Last I messed with it in the water 2 years ago, it would start, idle and run until about mid RPM. Then when you would go wide open it wouldnt have the power to break plane. BUT, if you rocked the pump out of the water at WOT and got the RPMs on the rev limiter and keep it there it would take off and pull hard. Lift of the throttle and it would bog and do the same thing over again.....thoughts or opinions besides rebuilding the carbs???
    chances are its the fuel system , either carb or fuel pump or fuel lines

2.) The MFD doesnt work, the stickers are peeling (I would like to paint it), all the pastic trim/ rear handle is sun faded and cracking....Is there anywhere to get new, black, rub rails, nose plastic and body trim pieces???...I HATE the faded purple ones!

there is a sticker sold on ebay that fixs the mfd

the rub rails can be bought used but might wanna try vinly die first

rear handles can be bought off ebay as well ,

3.) Even when the ski was new, it never had alot of snap out of the hole. You would go WOT and it would rev and gradually get up on plane, then it would fly. A same year comparable sea-doo would leap clean out of the water with the trim up where this SLX didnt have near the snap or snot of the sea-doo...Is there any way to fix or change this??

your issue is related to the engine not running properly get it fixed before it melts down , if your still not satisfied with the out come look in to getting the pump redone

4.) Is there any companies left that make performace parts for these things??? High compression pistons, intake grates, ride plates, impellors, exhausts??? I remember hot seat had alot but cant find much.

performance parts can be bought used

5.) Last but not least, is there anything else I should do or need to know before I tear into this thing and start replacing stuff???

fuel system failure is the number one cause of the problems , make sure that is tip top or youll be parting your aunties ski out for spares for other people

I was always happy with the top speed, how hard it pulled once on plane and how it handled...just really wish it had that pop from a stop...you guys know the kind im talking about...whack the go stick with the trim up and wheelie it up and out of the water, land it and take off.

Thank you all in advance...I will be checking this thread often...just really wanna get it running right first.

+1
    Where are you located? Maybe a second set of eye will help out

Thread Information