Timing Chain Snapped - Moving Forward?

Well, as you can guess by the title of this thread, my '04 RXP's timing chain snapped. I was quoted between $2-4k by my highly trusted and respected local marina to take care of it, so I want to hear your opinion on what I should do. I'm pretty sure having this ski repaired isn't going to be worth it, so should I try to sell it to somebody as-is for repair/salvage, should I part it out myself, what do y'all think is the best plan of action? I'm pretty bummed about losing this thing...185hrs (!) of no-problem water tearing, wave jumping, tube pulling fun in the sun. RIP my favorite jet ski.

i just put a new motor in mine... 20 hour motor for 2700 bux with rotax oil jet and fierra valve springs.. installed myself... all you would really need is an engine alignment tool for install... sbt for 150 bux or you can rent one from them for about 75.... you could pull your head off and see how bad the damage is... i pulled mine off and saw that the sleeve was cracked but i was doing 83 when my exhaust valve dropped. i would go ahead and pull the head in the ski... you might just need a top end, if thats the case that would be ok to do....
    just my 2 cents

I would totally do something like that, its just that it has 185hrs on it and I think my money may be better spent just buying a ski in relatively the same condition as mine was before the timing chain snapped...but as for what to do with the broken ski, I'm not entirely sure what would be the best way to sell it/get rid of it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by -=aLiEno4RXP=- View Post
    I would totally do something like that, its just that it has 185hrs on it and I think my money may be better spent just buying a ski in relatively the same condition as mine was before the timing chain snapped...but as for what to do with the broken ski, I'm not entirely sure what would be the best way to sell it/get rid of it.
    If I wasn't going to rebuild or replace the engine, I would part it out and place the parts in the classified here on greehulk.net and Ebay.

Hope that helps!

if your mechanically inclined i would pull the head, you can pick one up cheap usually. if your gonna get another one might keep it for parts... maybe sell the hull

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostedH23a1 View Post
    if your mechanically inclined i would pull the head, you can pick one up cheap usually. if your gonna get another one might keep it for parts... maybe sell the hull
    +1

I Had little to no experience working on these, but i took my engine out for a washer failure. Get a service manual and ask these guys for help, or search the thread. Some one may have already had this problem and posted on the solution.

well just got my ski back from the dealer, they turned off my compass and snapped my timing chain!!!! BRAND NEW MOTOR WITH MAYBE 3-5 HOURS ON IT

Thread Information