Pro-X Piston clearance for 951 DI.

I thought this would be a simple. I did a search and did not find anything specific. I have been using WSM Pistons and they come with a clearance spec sheet for different Skis. The Pro-X did not come with anything. Does anyone know what this should be for a 2001 GTX DI 951?

Thanks, John

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    John, did you get the pistons specifically made for the DI? The have a thicker dome than the carbed pistons, to help dissipate the higher heat the DI produces. I'd check with ProX on it. But if you can't get a specific number, .006" measured from the skirt will work fine.

I do 4 to 4.5 thou on all my pro-x, the carb ones are plenty good enough, I've even got elcheapo carb pistons on my own Di still going strong.
    make sure your knock sensor works and buy the highest premium pump fuel you can.

Quote Originally Posted by winterstick View Post
    I do 4 to 4.5 thou on all my pro-x, the carb ones are plenty good enough, I've even got elcheapo carb pistons on my own Di still going strong.
    make sure your knock sensor works and buy the highest premium pump fuel you can.
    I have another GTX DI and Rebuilt it a year ago with WSM Pistons. I only use regular fuel and it runs great.

Stick has the experience, I'd listen to what he says. You are flirting with disaster being cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCiccarelli View Post
    I have another GTX DI and Rebuilt it a year ago with WSM Pistons. I only use regular fuel and it runs great.
    that would depend on what your regular fuel is, ours is 91 but is calculated differently to the US, and is something like 83 in the US.
    A freind of mine had an 03 rxdi, ran flawlessly on our 98 for years, he sells it and day one of the new owner using it he burns up the pistons, after a heap of questions I thought I'd ask what fuel he was using, he said he filled it up with regular.
    just a coincidence maybe but i have seen it. and yes I thought the knock sensor would protect it but it didn't

01 DI's ,according to what I've read , are the only year required to run high octane premium fuel. Since they have no way of detecting a lean condition and correcting by increasing the amount of PWM to the injectors it's critical to keep the injectors clean and operating properly. The knock sensor is only there to retard timing once detonation occurs. Knowing what I now know about the DI's I personally would use premium fuel period no matter what year.

Quote Originally Posted by RumRunnerRon View Post
    01 DI's ,according to what I've read , are the only year required to run high octane premium fuel. Since they have no way of detecting a lean condition and correcting by increasing the amount of PWM to the injectors it's critical to keep the injectors clean and operating properly. The knock sensor is only there to retard timing once detonation occurs. Knowing what I now know about the DI's I personally would use premium fuel period no matter what year.
    Thanks for that info. I guess I will start using Premium.

I am hearing Piston Clearance of .004 to .006. Is there an actual number? Should I just go for the middle at .005?

You can rely on Stick's experience...I think he's built a few that are still running. I set my stuff a little loser because I run on the ragged edge @ 7650+.

Thread Information