+1

Opinions on SBT top end kit

Discovered that my middle-cylinder-PV-pin-dropped '01 xlt1200 also scored the other two cylinders. Bought one used cylinder here ($250) and an OEM piston ($70). Am I better off buying an SBT top end kit with sleeved cylinders? $695 vs. at least $820 when buying two more used cylinders. Saw Millenium Technologies will hone & re-coat nikasil but that looks to be about $645 for three cylinders.
    This is my first re-build. An extra hundred bucks well spent is no big deal. Any advice?

+1
    bump

If you're just looking to use the boat as a rec ski and want it repaired as inexpensively as possible, use the SBT stuff...If you want to maintain max performance and reliability, buy good used cylinders, or send yours to Millenium. SBT stuff is not first rate

+1
    Read alot of negative comments about SBT ,but I understand there warranty is "clad iron".Just happen to strike up a conversation with a guy with a twin trailer and on one an 01 XP.The guy said the engine was rebuilt by SBT and after only 15 mins the "engine blew".Two sides to every story but he called them and will fix it again, minus shipping.

I noticed they claim to add no additional fee for sleeving cylinders on a core. Are they using plain steel or NIkisiled sleeves. This was a big desision maker for me. Plus, a sleeved cylinder will not disperse heat as well. So, if one cylinder is sleeved with steel vs. the other two having stock Nikisil and it is not dispersing heat as well, It sounds like a time bomb to me.

+1
    I've never personaly dealt with SBT, but a search here will show everyones opinion of them. I won't use them. If you can afford it, do the job right and use good used ones or renick them.

The only way I'd use SBT is to drop a motor in it to sell the entire ski with the understanding that the motor had a warranty, and not to mod it at all. Funny how they do buisiness; crappy products, great warranty.

Thread Information