Better holeshot on a wave venture 1100?

I just bought a used wave venture 1100, and I want to use it mainly for towing skiers, but I think it's going to need a little help in the holeshot dept. The motor has good compression (about 115 on all three, on my gauge), and the gps top speed with me on it (about 180lbs) in fairly rough water was 49-50mph. It seems to run well all around, but there seems to be a lot of "slip" (cavitation?, ventilation?--sorry for my ignorance) when you punch the throttle from idle, as you would do when pulling up a skier. So, my questions are:
    1. is this a symptom of a worn impeller and how do I tell?
    2. would a different impeller (or some other part) improve the hookup when the throttle is punched from idle?

sounds like you have some cavitation going on in your jet pump. there are ways to measure the tolerances to see if its worn too far. a damaged impeller would also cause similar problems

So how do I measure tolerances? I will be ordering a service manual today. Is is a matter of getting a feeler gauge up between the impeller and the pump wall?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rpt50 View Post
    I just bought a used wave venture 1100, and I want to use it mainly for towing skiers, but I think it's going to need a little help in the holeshot dept. The motor has good compression (about 115 on all three, on my gauge), and the gps top speed with me on it (about 180lbs) in fairly rough water was 49-50mph. It seems to run well all around, but there seems to be a lot of "slip" (cavitation?, ventilation?--sorry for my ignorance) when you punch the throttle from idle, as you would do when pulling up a skier. So, my questions are:
    1. is this a symptom of a worn impeller and how do I tell?
    2. would a different impeller (or some other part) improve the hookup when the throttle is punched from idle?
    I'm not familiar with the top speed of 1100 Wave Ventures but that seems a little low to me. I know this is a big ski but I would've thought that the 1100 could push this thing a little faster but what do I know? A smooth water reading would give better information.

+1
    That speed is average for a venture....some ran 53-54 but the averages was 50 ish

+1
    Thanks, M.

I am having a very similar problem. My impeller looks to be in great shape and the wear ring looks fine... Im not sure where to go with it next though ?

I have a GP760

+1
    Is it a stock intake grate? if so, cut the two middle bars out and file down the edges. That will cure some of the cavitation and it's virtually free. The impeller, if stock, is probably worn enough to affect performance. Get up under there with a flashlight and check the leading edges for knicks, chips, etc. If it's pretty rough, put in a new stainless impeller, Solas is a good one, they make a 12/18 pitch...that would give you some more oomph off the line..

Thread Information