Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Riva Intake Manifold Upgrade kit install for 08 SHO

I started the install last weekend and quickly realized it would take more than an hour to complete. I put things back together so I could ride over the weekend. I am ready to try again and am looking for tips from anyone that has done this. Is it easier to just remove the intake manifold? Will I need a new intake gasket?

Any comments from someone that has done it would be appreciated.

In my opinion you need to take the manifold off to do this. Im sure others have done without but I bet they wished they would have went ahead and took it off. Really the only problem I had was getting the two bolts off that come up from under the manifold, I didnt know they were in there. Get a mirror and look under the manifold after you get the wiring harness back out of the way....it will make more sense...

The underneath bolt at the rear can be taken off with a 1/4 ratchet 12mm socket. The front one will have to be taken off with an end wrench or if you have a ratchet wrench now would be the time!!!!

Just did my intake manifold upgrade today on my FZS. Been postponing the mod for 2 weeks and decide do to it today.
    This mod is REALLY a PAIN IN THE A... Believe me!! I wanted to quit a couple of times but kept on saying "no pain, no gain", hehe (took me about 4hours!!!).
    Remove bolt securing oil dipt stick to manifold. Disconnect/remove the injectors metal pipe and other wires. Pull them away. Loosen the clamp securing the pipe to the intercooler. Remove the bottom bolt securin the pipe. Remove the manifold bolts (bolts securing the manifold to the cylinder and 2 bolts under the manifold securing it to the brackets) and you'll be able to pull it. Then, once you've pull the manifold, you can work on removing the throttle body and the ribbon easily.
    You'll need to be very patient
    Teste the ski just after putting everythin back together, definitly better throttle response and improved acceleration.

Quote Originally Posted by lukygomes View Post
    Just did my intake manifold upgrade today on my FZS. Been postponing the mod for 2 weeks and decide do to it today.
    This mod is REALLY a PAIN IN THE A... Believe me!! I wanted to quit a couple of times but kept on saying "no pain, no gain", hehe (took me about 4hours!!!).
    Remove bolt securing oil dipt stick to manifold. Disconnect/remove the injectors metal pipe and other wires. Pull them away. Loosen the clamp securing the pipe to the intercooler. Remove the bottom bolt securin the pipe. Remove the manifold bolts (bolts securing the manifold to the cylinder and 2 bolts under the manifold securing it to the brackets) and you'll be able to pull it. Then, once you've pull the manifold, you can work on removing the throttle body and the ribbon easily.
    You'll need to be very patient
    Teste the ski just after putting everythin back together, definitly better throttle response and improved acceleration.
    Thanks this is just the kind of info I was looking for. I have a couple weeks before I get out to ride again so I have time to "take-my-time".

So did you see any top end gains?

I saw very little gains at all. It turned about the same as before after heat soak. It was at most 40 rpms better before heat soak...I was expecting more, others got more.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OutlawGPR View Post
    I saw very little gains at all. It turned about the same as before after heat soak. It was at most 40 rpms better before heat soak...I was expecting more, others got more.....
    What other mods do you have? If you only do the manifold upgrade and not the rest of the stage 1 parts you probably won't see much of a gain.

I only have an aftermarket air cleaner. I was thinking the free flow exhuast might be something to help me. At 3/4 throttle I turn as many revs as full throttle after the intake mod. I dont remember it being that way before. Another thing, the air was not that good yesterday, high humidity not sure the numbers but it had just rained....

When you do the free flow does the sound get much louder? I can stand a little but dont want that obnoxious aftermarket waterbox sound...

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by OutlawGPR View Post
    When you do the free flow does the sound get much louder? I can stand a little but dont want that obnoxious aftermarket waterbox sound...
    Just mod your stock silencer!!!!!!!!! Tommy tested both and the modded silencer was just as good as free-flow but no resonation/drone.

I haven't been able to test top end gain as water was choppy. Will test next weekend. But acceleration has really improved, quite noticeable in the mid range.
    But you have to do other mods. Removing the ribbon removes air restricton but you also need the power filter for a significant increase in the air going in.
    I installed the power filter, the free flow, the intake grate+ seal kit on my ski out of the crate, before putting it on water for the first time. I was already hitting the 71/72 without the manifold upgrade
    The free flow is not obnoxious, the sound is louder but great. Its a bit loud in the low range, but from mid to top range its really nice. Also improves performance.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Decided to give this ribbon a go today. What a freaking nightmare! So many bolts and things you can only get to by feel. Dropped a wrench into the devils crotch (down under the engine) and had to fish for that bastage for about 30 minutes. Cut my hands up so bad and bled on everything. I still cannot believe the engine can breathe through that little piece of crap screen. It has a finer substrate than a catalytic converter too. Thats crazy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information