What engines fit in a '99 XL1200? AKA should I get myself into this project?

There's a '99 XL1200 hull on craigslist locally for $25. Looks like the only thing it's missing is the engine and seat, but I haven't seen it in person. I was thinking about calling today, and probably picking it up. For the cost of a case of beer, how could you go wrong with a jet ski?

Well here's my question - to quickly turn this around into a running ski, what would you reccomend? Just find a 99 XL1200 engine? Build up some franken race monster piece by piece? Light it on fire and push it down a hill? But seriously - would any other engine years/series be a good swap for more power? Thanks!

+1
    Find a used FX 140 or FX HO motor, fuel pump, electronics, exhaust, etc. along with some help from forum members and you will be good to go!

It may not be as easily modified, but it will be reliable as a dog, less fumes/noise, and easier on the your wallet for fuel consumption!

Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	99 XLL FI.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	204609   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	99 XLL .jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	204610  

Well I chose NOT to get into this project. I went to look at it today, and the guy even said he would GIVE it to me. Unfortunately, there was no paperwork, period. It was also a lot more beat than the ad led on. It was missing the gas tank, reverse dump cable, the steering was seized (and the bars were on upside down and backwards???) and the hull/top was just BEAT. So I passed up a free hull because I don't want to get involved in a 2 year long project that involves shipping an entire jetski's worth of parts from the mainland.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by John's truck View Post
    Well I chose NOT to get into this project. I went to look at it today, and the guy even said he would GIVE it to me. Unfortunately, there was no paperwork, period. It was also a lot more beat than the ad led on. It was missing the gas tank, reverse dump cable, the steering was seized (and the bars were on upside down and backwards???) and the hull/top was just BEAT. So I passed up a free hull because I don't want to get involved in a 2 year long project that involves shipping an entire jetski's worth of parts from the mainland.
    Smart. Most times if it seems too good to be true it is!

Thread Information