Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help needed 3200 rpm something is out of balance

I know I shouldn't have done what I did but here it is: (all at the same time that is)

Clutch went out (w/C3 and RD R4 IC w/Powershot)

Replaced clutch and did the "while I'm at it" and threw in a E1, Riva IC, and Riva sc shaft. Those in the know know this means pulled the pump and opened the supercharger (in addition to the clutch)

Idles fine, gets on plane no issues and quite quickly if I let it. But now at 3200 rpm (per stock guage) something is certainly off - a vibration. Faster is fine and seems smooth but right around 3200 it feels like an "out of balance tire". Squeeze throttle and let off and Riva BOV sounds good. I used my RD multiport and did not drill the intake manifold per the riva instructions.

Any adivse short of pulling everything again would be greatly appreciated - even then I don't know what I may have forgotten that would cause this.
    Last edited by wb1205; 07-10-2010 at 09:29 PM. Reason: forgot the new shaft

This is my place of Zenn smohammed's Avatar
    +1
    mmm could be having the wrong impeller in there or your plugs might be bad also( Doubt it) ..

I put nearly 45 minutes on it and I would expect if it was the motor/sc/shaft/bearing or something internal it would have let go by now. Thing really rips, I am suprised the difference in IC / E1 vs C3. I looked around the site for the last few hours and found some may have reported something similar with the bearings in the pump. Kinda suprised since I ran fine last weekend before the clutch let go. I did not notice any of these issues last week. Perhaps pulling the pump and replacing turned the ball bearings to the sides that are worn/rusted from the potential pump seal leak? Tomorrow night I will pull the boat out and home and check for milk.

On a different note, I also found people with midshaft area hose failure. - the one around the driveshaft. Mine is about as distorted as it can get (and was previously) I seem to recall using Gates hose on the 2 strokes, but what are others using with these SHO motors? Toss the spring and go wth some other kind of hose?

Thanks for any comments.

+1
    I had the exact same thing on my wife's SHO.
    Replace spark plugs.
    Much better.

This fault is apparently very common with the Yamaha's.

Then, if it's not that, go looking in other area's.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wb1205 View Post
    On a different note, I also found people with midshaft area hose failure. - the one around the driveshaft. Mine is about as distorted as it can get (and was previously) I seem to recall using Gates hose on the 2 strokes, but what are others using with these SHO motors? Toss the spring and go wth some other kind of hose?

Thanks for any comments.
    Pull pump and shaft. Remove old hose and spring. Get alloy pipe and fibreglass that puppy in. This was done in the old 2 stroke section from years ago. Not exactly a secret squirrell but more like a lost and forgotten squirrell. LOL

Saves sinking when out in the deep blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
    Pull pump and shaft. Remove old hose and spring. Get alloy pipe and fibreglass that puppy in. This was done in the old 2 stroke section from years ago. Not exactly a secret squirrell but more like a lost and forgotten squirrell. LOL

Saves sinking when out in the deep blue.
    I must have been under a rock - never heard of that one... Thanks for the heads up, I don't think I will add any glass, but maybe explore an alloy pipe and using silicone fittings to bridge from hull to pipe and with pipe no distortion/sinking.

Perhaps when removing the valve cover to install the Riva IC in the SHO, I messed up a spark plug - I kinda doubt but beggars cannot be chosers? I will recheck those connections as and look for milk in the pump. I will order plugs just in case.

Cheers!

+1
    very possible that the stearing cable is binding aginst the riva IC causing engine vibrations to transfer to the hull try to re route the stearing cable away from the IC if you can

No milk in the pump, no visible water just grease. Pump spins by hand and no detected grinding. Motor still a little rough in the lower RPM range with pump not in but it is really hard to tell. Could this 'vibration' be the engine simply running rough? I am not sure that the powershot is working properly. Needed to get the stuff to check AFR anyway so I'll get that started. I noticed that with a steady throttle (on hose/trailer) that the RPM would fluctuate 2500 down to 2200 and back up - any ideas? Everything runs sounds alot differently when not in the water.

+1
    Have you changed those spark plugs yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
    Have you changed those spark plugs yet?
    Why start with the easy stuff first? Will try to find some later tonight -thanks again

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information