Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2006 STX 15 F , big problems think I blew the motor....ugh..disgusted...

I just bought this damn thing and have only put 3 hours on it myself (38 total), first time out, the cooling line blew off and filled the hull up with water. Oil was clean, motor never killed, no apparent water in the cylinders. Drained all the water out, including intake manifold. After changing the plugs, ran it, ran great, no issues, 60mph. Ran it for about 2 hours. Took it out today, ran great for about 30 minutes, then slowed down and killed. Started it back up, wasnt running right, I had to keep the throttle squeezed to keep running. Pulled it out the water and went home. Hooked up the hose, turned it over, (battery light came on, that was the only warning), Engine would start with the throttle open. Could tell it wasnt running on all cylinders, and it appeared ( by pulling the plug wire) that #2 had no spark. Then I heard what sounded like a ROD knock. I shut it off in disbelief, then started it again , to make sure I heard what I heard. And I did , sounds like a rod knock to me. So now what.....I paid $6200 for this ski a week ago, put three hours on it, and now this. To say I am disgusted is an understatement. Are these things this fragile ? How much should I expect in a repair bill ? Any suggestions? I checked the oil, and to me it looked overfilled ? It wasnt like this before. Any ideas besides setting this thing on fire????

Just wondering if it is related to the cooling line blowing off last week, why would it had run fine for nearly two hours before the issue today. It never "hydrolocked" and when I initially checked everything, no water came out the cylinders. Water was never milky....just sick to my stomach.....

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    No doubt related to your flooding issue. I have heard of many cooling hoses popping off and causing problems.
    Did you remove oil and change it? Remove plugs before turning over?Sounds like hydorlocked and bent rod and now...
    Sorry to read this. These are good ski's and reliable engines usually.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    check the compression on all 4 cylinders they are labeled on the head, post the numbers when you get them. Change the oil and filter. Get a manual and go through all the electrical connections on the ski, clean them and use dielectric grease on all of them, then check the coil to make sure it isn't bad. these ski's make some pinging noises when running on the hose its normal. did you make sure and put the bold back in the intake manifold when you drained it? did you drain the gas? what octane are you using? check the oil level, if its higher than when you started you got water in it. The 15f is a great ski, you just got unlucky, we will take care of you though don't worry

Sean

I will check the compression in a day or two, I dont even want to look at that thing right now. When I do I will post the numbers. I spun the ski over with the plugs out of it when this initially happened and didnt have any water come out the cylinders. I didnt change the oil, but it looked totally fine, no milky condition at all. It has all new gas in it, when the incident occurred it was very low on fuel , and have run probably another 6-7 gallons thru it before this problem occurred. I had been running 89 Octane Shell Gasoline. I did put some Seafoam in the gas to help out if there was still any moisture in the fuel. It wasnt making the Rod Knock sound until yesterday. It never "locked up" and always spun over. Like i said it seemed to be doing really good until yesterday, then just slowed down and killed. If I do need a re-build what type of money (ballpark) do you think I am looking at. Again, sorry for all the blabber, but after dropping 6200 and riding the thing for a total of three hours, I am really unhappy.....but I am thankful for the help. This has been a great website.

Going to go check out some things on the ski tomm evening, but i have a feeling its a rod knock. So I was pricing stuff , a rebuilt engine if basically 2K , anyone have any experience with this company ???
    http://www.shopsbt.com/

+1
    your way ahead of yourself you need to see whats wrong first do as advised and stop speculating

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    I would avoid sbt but i have no experience with them, I bought a gasket set from them but thats it.

Sean

+1
    Did you actually get water to drain out of the intake mainfold? Did you drain the water out of the air box? I have had a lot of water in my hull when hoses have came off, split and other reasons but have never had water enter the airbox or the intake manifold. How full was the hull when you notices the problem? It sounds like you might have 2 issues not one. How long did this ski sit without being ridden before you bought it? A 2006 with only 36 hours would be great unless it was ridden one year and then put away to rust inside for the next 3 years. You could have just ran it as long as the rusted bearings could take.

Well , I checked the oil, and there is NO water in the oil. My neighbor had a chemical test that tests oil for water and it came back negative. BUT , I pulled the spark plugs out, and #4 plug was smashed shut and #4 has NO compression. I didnt have the right adapter to hook up my compression gauge but the thumb test showed compression in all cylinders except #4

To answer the above questions, when I did get water in the ski , I did drain some water out of the airbox, and the intake manifold, but after this latest incident, there was no water in either. I am starting to think what "mirror" suggested about the ski sitting and running it as long as the rusted bearings could take....???? But #4 definitely got smacked by the piston, and there is no compression in that hole. So thats the latest as of now, any input is greatly appreciated....thanks guys (and ladies).... Dave

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information