Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Something's Wrong

Here's the situation. Was out on the SLX yesterday. Had it going full out on big water doing about 56MPH. Suddenly the engine quit (had 3/4 for fuel, and almost full oil). It fired right back up and had full power. It coughed a bit, then went into limp mode. I removed the plugs (a week old) and they were blackened with a good amount of oil on them. I cleaned them the best I could at the beach. After i put them back in, the machine felt boggy, and smelled almost flooded. Limp mode was off, but was still bogged down, and running around 4200 rpm constant. It almost felt like a block in the fuel line, it would be bogging, then take off like a rocket and run strong until I let off the gas.....then back to being boggy until it cleared itself again. I'm stumped, any thoughts as to what may cause this?

Thanks.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    What was the MFD displaying when in limp mode?

No warnings indicated.

Alright, I had a chance to give the machine a quick look over. It appears I have water in the fuel tank and into the water seperater. I can only guess that's what caused the bogging, and lack of restart. I assume the first step is to drain the fuel and put in some addditive to get rid of the water?

+1
    drain the tank, use that in your lawnmower. then new gas in the seperator and tank. then check the gas cap area for being loose or cracked,, then check the clamps holding the black rubber inlet tube for the tank for looseness too. might as well check the sending unit inlet on top of the tank for being loose or a cracked cap also. its not easy to get water in the tank from waves. something is letting it in there. besides bad gas or condensation.

I put new gas in (filled it) before the day. I did happen to log roll the thing 4 or 5 times through the day...most likely the culprit for the water intrusion. As far as I can tell it didn't effect the engine. Once the water would work its way through the system she'd run mint. Let off the gas though and she'd bog down again. I will check all of the things you suggested though and see what happens.

Picked up a new starter today since it was giving me issues as well. Emptied the fuel tank, cleared out the lines, checked every hose clamp and fuel line on the machine. Should be able to get the starter put on this weekend. Hopefully this clears up the issues with the ol' girl.

+1
    you roll it 5 times? in 1 day? damm. iv'e only fallen off once on my slt in 10 years. but never rolled it. might be a good idea not to roll it over.lol water can hydrolock your engine and twist the crank out of tru.

Well, we were playing hard close to shore in the rollers.....guess I was catching an edge. So, I got the machine apart, old starter out, new starter in. Now in the process of re-assembly. It's proving to be a little more difficult than expected.

+1
    ah I see now why ya rolled it so many times.. i was gonna say.....cant be on flat water. lol

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information