Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

96 XP No start and no beep

Did not want to muck up the other thread on here about no starting and beeping. Did some research and looks like it could be either the solenoid or a bad ground wire, but would like to get some opinions. Ski was running great a week ago (July 4th weekend), wash them on Sunday and take some tilex mildew remover to get the blackness forming on the dash and around the mirrors off. While doing that I took the seat off and sprayed some tilex down around the drive shaft cover as it had mildew on it too. I left the seat off to let it evaporate out (very sunny out) and then put everything back up after about an hour or better. Get ready to go to the lake yesterday and no beep and no fire. Nothing clicks. I tested and charged the battery and switched out the solenoid with one that came with the ski (I know it was used and am pretty sure it was a defective part, but tried anyway). Could the tilex (fumes) have corroded the ground line(s). There was a lot of corrosion on the battery posts that I have not noticed before yesterday. Thanks for any help. - Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by Bhilton2v View Post
    Did not want to muck up the other thread on here about no starting and beeping. Did some research and looks like it could be either the solenoid or a bad ground wire, but would like to get some opinions. Ski was running great a week ago (July 4th weekend), wash them on Sunday and take some tilex mildew remover to get the blackness forming on the dash and around the mirrors off. While doing that I took the seat off and sprayed some tilex down around the drive shaft cover as it had mildew on it too. I left the seat off to let it evaporate out (very sunny out) and then put everything back up after about an hour or better. Get ready to go to the lake yesterday and no beep and no fire. Nothing clicks. I tested and charged the battery and switched out the solenoid with one that came with the ski (I know it was used and am pretty sure it was a defective part, but tried anyway). Could the tilex (fumes) have corroded the ground line(s). There was a lot of corrosion on the battery posts that I have not noticed before yesterday. Thanks for any help. - Brandon

Yes by all means corroded battery terminals can cause you to not have system power when the lanyard is attached (no beeps). You need to clean up all the corrosion ( if real bad either cut cables back and make new terminals or replace cables) and check where the ground cable attaches to the block. What a lot of guys will do to test the ground cable is to take a jumper cable and attach one end to the battery and then the other to the block. Make sure you get a good bite with the clamp. If it is the ground it may just be easier to cut it and find another place to reattach to the block. If it is not the battery connections I would recheck the fuse holders that come off the solenoid. One of them is for the mpem.
    I would also check the lanyard post out. There are three wires on it. One is a blk/ylw stripe , one is solid blk , the other is white with a gray stripe. The blk/ylw wire should have 12v to it always. There is a magnet in the lanyard that closes a switch in the post. It completes a circuit between the two black wires. Once done the mpem looks on the white/gry wire for the key code.

Goodness, thats alot to check out. I cleaned up the posts yesterday, but I probably need to do a better job. I did look at both fuses (I am thinking the ones that come directly off of the solenoid) and both were fine. Any way to test the post out? Just check it for continuity through the wire you mentioned? Thanks for the help.

Quick update - went out to do the ground test and remebered I still had the old solenoid or starter relay in the rear box. As I was taking the old off and replacing with the one previously on there the two wires that bolt to the relay "accidentaly" came into contact with each other and the motor bumped over. I tried it again and it definatly wants to start, so I'm leaning toward the battery and grounds being fine. I am going to replace the relay, but would like to make sure that the beep comes back as well. Now where to find a good, but reasonably priced relay? Any other suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Don't go buying a relay yet. You need to fix the beep first. Your relay needs the signal from the mpem to engage the starter. If anything, I think you proved the relay is good. Disconnect the batt so you don't short anything out when working. Check connections and grounds and follows Ron's suggestions.

So you're thinkin' its the post itself? If it has 12V at the wire specified is the next step post replacement?

You mean the DESS post right... It could be that, you need to test it like Ron specified. I am not familiar with this specific ski, but it doesn't sound like the relay/solenoid. Regardless, you need to get your beep back so that the MPEM/ Ignition are powered up and can get power to the solenoid when you push the start/stop button.

Does the MPEM ground go the magneto cover on these? That is the ground connection you need to clean. Also, the ground where the heavy battery cable connects to the starter. Less likely for corrosion is the common ground on the coil in rear electrical box. A bad crimp on a connector cost the previous owner and me a lot of money throwing parts at my SL900. So you want to make sure every bolted electrical connection is clean and put back together with di-electric grease.

You can download the manual at seadoomanuals.net. There are troubleshooting charts you can follow. It basically says no beep?, check DESS post, but you need to rule out Tilex corrosion. Rinse that stuff if you haven't, check the label isn't it corrosive to metals?

Quote Originally Posted by retro jet View Post
    Don't go buying a relay yet. You need to fix the beep first. Your relay needs the signal from the mpem to engage the starter. If anything, I think you proved the relay is good. Disconnect the batt so you don't short anything out when working. Check connections and grounds and follows Ron's suggestions.

Yes address the no beep first. Sorry I left that part out. Where the wiring comes down through the bars is where you might find the connector for the post. It will have Three wires. Blk/ylw stripe , blk no stripe, and wht/gry stripe. Disconnect it and find something to jump the two black wires, on the side going to the mpem, together. This bypasses the reed switch in the post. You should get 1 long beep. It would also mean that you are probably looking at either the post or key being the culprit. The key has a magnet in it and they can go bad.

I tested the MPEM side with a paper clip (jumped two black wires) and got no beep. tested the yellow/black for 12 volts and got nothing. Is this a bad MPEM? Bad ground at magneto? (Plug that goes from MPEM to the flywheel housing?). This is all assuming that I did all of this correctly and actually touched the metal connections, but I am pretty sure I did.

check pages 195-197 of the PDF 1996 shop manual. There are DESS and MEPM diagnostics and beep codes that can tell us more

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information