Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Unhappy So much for running perfect on my SLT!

Yep, went to check the wash on the pistons today to stop any problems from happening. like going lean and guess what? the Pto has a crack in the piston! wonderful... it ran great too.. no idea how that happen.. have to get Another .25 bore and piston,, fun fun,,,, cant wait to get started.lol

they all look the same pretty much,, black and lean.. theres some wash but not much. i was using the stock settings.. ill have to turn them out some more looks like after i get it fixed Again..errrrrr This blows...

Good thing , I decided to check it and not take it out,, the bores look great so just a piston or and oversize bore n jug is needed.. fun fun.... How in the world did this happen? who knows......

know whats funny? the broken one has the best wash.lol

If that wasnt enough,, the very first nut I took off, it was kinda hard to move so I was pulling, it let go and slit my elbow wide open too.lol opps. nice little gash..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0045.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	204712   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0046.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	204713   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0047.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	204714  

+1
    what brand of pistons?

+1
    stock in the pto and mag, the center i dont know right off hand.. top to bottom is pto center mag.. center is ,25 over with honed jug and rings that were in there.. i rubbed my finger on the cracked one, thats why it looks smeared or lighter

BTW, good thing i didnt take it out today, we had a nasty storm with 60mph winds blow thru.. just imagine if it blew up today out on the lake and that storm caught me. ouch.

Dude check ur fuel pump, that's what killed mine

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Dude check ur fuel pump, that's what killed mine
    I am worried about mine as well. Mine are going back and forth from good wash, to rich, to what looked a little lean today. I think I may have a pump problem, although it was just rebuilt. I purchased one of those borescopes for myself so I can check after every ride but the led lights at the tip sometimes give off a glare that makes it difficult to see actually what is going on. I have to connect the thing to my laptop to get a clearer image which is a pain but worth the trouble.

What I saw today looked like Bow's on the PTO and MAG minus the crack of course. That compression gauge goes in each hole after every ride also. You guys have me paranoid.

+1
    bowsniper, this a dumb question but you do have the triple pump on the ski dont you? My #1 SLT 750 I did the triple pump all new fuel lines and selector valve. It fires and runs great everytime. #2 SLT 750 I bought with number 1 piston burnt and number3 had already been replaced. I replaced #1 piston and cyl. all fuel lines new triple pump from Zigler and rebuilt all three carbs. Went a little over factory on high carb adjustment. Ski ran like crap for the first couple of starts and then ran great. Took it out this weekend and it ran super, about 52 or so. I am a firm believer in going thru the whole fuel system. Good luck!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TopCop931 View Post
    I am worried about mine as well. Mine are going back and forth from good wash, to rich, to what looked a little lean today. I think I may have a pump problem, although it was just rebuilt. I purchased one of those borescopes for myself so I can check after every ride but the led lights at the tip sometimes give off a glare that makes it difficult to see actually what is going on. I have to connect the thing to my laptop to get a clearer image which is a pain but worth the trouble.

What I saw today looked like Bow's on the PTO and MAG minus the crack of course. That compression gauge goes in each hole after every ride also. You guys have me paranoid.

Mine all look Bow's pto and mag (less the crack) as well. I should start running a compression check as well after each ride. It would appear that these engines are a bit touchy.........

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDJETSKIMAN View Post
    bowsniper, this a dumb question but you do have the triple pump on the ski dont you? My #1 SLT 750 I did the triple pump all new fuel lines and selector valve. It fires and runs great everytime. #2 SLT 750 I bought with number 1 piston burnt and number3 had already been replaced. I replaced #1 piston and cyl. all fuel lines new triple pump from Zigler and rebuilt all three carbs. Went a little over factory on high carb adjustment. Ski ran like crap for the first couple of starts and then ran great. Took it out this weekend and it ran super, about 52 or so. I am a firm believer in going thru the whole fuel system. Good luck!
    yep, new triple pump, uscg lines, restrictor in.. runs perfect jumps out of the hole in 2 seconds or less.. top speed is nice n quick, water flying by ya, engine humming a high speed tune.. just a quirk in production probably, ive never seen one crack like this.. the water has been warm. so no cold seizure or cracking from improper warm up, . i always warm it up.. in my last video coming back home from the 4th of july, you see me take off smoothly and slow so to speak.. went half throttle across the lake, then full throttle at the end for a couple hundreds yards as usual.. it just cracked i guess. i have real good consisent wash, is what im looking for,,, and i have it, but its a tad lean,,, i'm gonna turn the highs all out 1/8 each and see how it goes...should be really good wash then..just at that edge but safe.. I think i was nearing the edge!.lol not totally black but close..

you could say it like this,, melted rings and land,,hole in piston and all black, all black,, all black with small wash(thats me) black with finger marks.chocalate brown with nice port transfer wash and intake/exhaust.(obvious washing) large wash, half clean, clean.

That puts me at number 4.lol i need to be at 5 or 6 to be safe I think.. i dont care about 1 mph or 2. big deal. i want it reliable. just your basic let anyone ride it and never worry kinda ski.. like the old xp's use to be like..89-90 bulletproof ski with a great hull back in the day.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 750sl View Post
    Mine all look Bow's pto and mag (less the crack) as well. I should start running a compression check as well after each ride. It would appear that these engines are a bit touchy.........

Not a comp check everytime, a WASH CHECK everytime. then do you compression test..

Keep a log maybe, of your current carb settings and jet sizes(highs and lows) in all carbs and date of rebuild. compression test, max rpms,and speed too.. you wont remember all that 2 months from now.. then if you need to make an adjustment, you can refer to what you have going on..

a nice chocolate brown wash with good wash marks may not be possible with todays crummy gas.. sometimes i end up using 10% ethanol junk to run if i have too. guess i shouldnt. that may contribute to the black dome instead of chocolate color.. and the type of oil you use in it too will change things I bet .. I use valvoline and other good brands of 2-stroke oil in it.. I dont really stay with 1 type of oil like i do on the Pro.. I go with klotz 50 racing oil onlyon ithat ski..

can anyone post a 750 awesome recent wash on thier ski? I think we newbs would like to see that.. not some pic from 10 years ago from a perfect running ski back in 1997,lol I mean like heres mine from yesterday my settings are..... that would give us all good insight what can be obtainable by tuning these fugis correctly.

Can you remove the head and put it back on without changing the head gasket?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information