Unhappy 2002 Genesis I - Running great, died while riding, now wont start

Just like that. Crusing along and died like the kill switch lanyard was pulled (which it was not) or some main fuse somewhere blew.

I've looked thru many pages and threads here for a similar occurance, but could not find any. I've already:

1)Verified the 2 breakers were not tripped/need resetting
    2)checked Fuses not blown
    3)reviewed service manual for any trips that could be holding out a start (ie. low oil level, etc) none found
    4)verified lanyand kill switch functioning
    5) Reset MFI, it functions properly

Now what?

If it was fuel/fuel pump related, surely it would have sputtered then died as fuel pressure dropped, no? If it was coil degradation or plug issue, would have seen performance/misfiring issues instead of just dropping dead in an instant, no?

By means of supplemental info, I bought a pair of these ski's used 2 yrs ago. About 55 hrs on each. Other ski I have already had to replace EMM (computer). Service shop said these units are prone to EMM failure, although I dont find a lot of discussion of this on this forum which makes me question if true or not.

Does the EMM need to function just to get it to fire off?? It does not fire now at all.

Am pretty familiar with working on engines, although never on PWC before now.

Could use the generous knowledge of you folks to help me out.

PS: Was going to take to the shop, but they told me 6 weeks before they could even look at it. So I'm on my own for the time being.....

Thanks in advance for your help!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

You have two identical 2002 Genesis i ?

If yes, swap the LR Start/Stop module from the working machine to the dead one. Disconnect the battery while you do the swap

If swapping the LR module doesn't help, then bring the good EMM over to the dead hull. Transfer the 8-pin and 12-pin EMM connectors from the dead unit the the good EMM. No need to mess with the water hoses, as you will only be testing for a few seconds. See if it starts.

If no start, transfer the 40-pin EMM connector to the good EMM. Now all three connectors are connected to the good EMM.

Start?

Report back

My Virage did exactly the same thing last summer. After a lot of frustration and a few miss diagnosis ended up replacing cdi. Problem fixed.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyAl View Post
    My Virage did exactly the same thing last summer. ...ended up replacing cdi. Problem fixed.
    No CDI in a fuel injected Genesis - EMM instead.

Diagnostics are different.

Cool No CDI- correct

Thanks for the troubleshooting tips. Will report back as I get a chance to dig in. The damn job getting in the way of important stuff again!!

Swapping LR module did not fix. Introduced a new problem when putting back in good machine. Battery polarity reversed, burned up LR module. Looking to purchase replacement before continuing troubleshooting so I dont screw up the working machine.

CRAP!!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by yismxplusb View Post
    ...Battery polarity reversed, burned up LR module...CRAP!!!!
    Stick some RED tape beside the positive terminal on each battery

I'm back....although still not up and running.
    Ended up taking unit to the shop. After weeks of waiting in line, diagnosed as EMM failure. They replaced with refurbished EMM (from DFI, I believe) took for test run on the water, running poorly. Sent EMM back to DFI for them to "rework"

WTH does that mean? I know that new replacment parts for these Polaris units are expensive and hard to find, but shouldnt someone repairing/refurbishing EMM's be able to do that without a trial and error process?

Brought them to the shop in Dec '10 thinking I'm giving them PLENTY of time, now we're in April in Texas, and ready to enjoy them. Very frustrated. Can anyone give me the scoop on the EMM repair company, "DFI"???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by yismxplusb View Post
    ... diagnosed as EMM failure. They replaced with refurbished EMM (from DFI, I believe) took for test run on the water, running poorly. Sent EMM back to DFI for them to "rework"

WTH does that mean? I know that new replacement parts for these Polaris units are expensive and hard to find, but shouldn't someone repairing/refurbishing EMM's be able to do that without a trial and error process?

... Can anyone give me the scoop on the EMM repair company, "DFI"???
    DFI Technologies is the only place I am aware of that has experience fixing these EMM.

Versions of these EMM were also used on Kawasaki and Tigershark PWC engines for a few model years. OMC and Evinrude (now owned by BRP) 2-stroke DI outboard engines have used the Ficht EMM since the 1990's.

DFI have been working with Ficht EMM since they were 'the new thing' on outboards and watercraft. I expect they have complete or partial electrical schematics and some of the factory technical info.

They have seen and repaired many failed units and have a check list of the common failure points. For some internal components that DFI knows tend to fail they will sometimes upgrade or replace them while they have the EMM, even if the current problem is caused by somet other part(s).

That said, DFI is a small operation. My understanding is that DFI does not have extensive test equipment beyond one or two samples of each Ficht engine type and some benchtop test rigs.

After they repair an EMM my understanding is that they then do some bench testing in a test jig. For some EMM they may actually plug it into an engine test bed (which may or may not be mounted in a hull) and run the engine.

Water testing only happens when the EMM repair is giving them difficulties or they need to be really sure the fix is working.

It is unfortunate that many of the people who developed and understood the Ficht system at a granular level have moved on, and much of what they knew has been lost.

First OMC went under, then Polaris shut down their PWC division, and BRP pushed Ficht into the background until the the next generation 'voice coil' E-TEC technology was ready.

I suspect a lot of useful technical documents and engineering info just got filed away circa 2005 and now few people know where to find it. I seem to recall DFI telling me that they had the specialized software to edit/change/copy the injector fuel compensation maps, but lost it when the only computer it was on had a hard drive crash

BRP may have a few people still around from the early OMC/Polaris Ficht days but I have no information regarding who they are or what information might be available. It wouldn't surprise me that those folks who still do have copies of this stuff are afraid to make it available, since BRP legal might not look kindly on the release.

It sure would be nice to have a set of schematic diagrams and parts lists for these EMM. Diagnostic software and programming specs would be really useful.

K447,
    Thanks for all the useful information. You are a wealth of knowledge, and if not an owner of a repair facility, should be. Speaking of, seems a bit scary that the entire globe's ablility to keep Polaris DI PWC's in the water rests solely in the hands of a couple of reclusive technicians in Alabama. Could be a huge business opportunity for the right guy (Hint, Hint)
    I'll report back once I get both units back in service and sea-worthy. Gotta admit, tho, giving serious thought to offloading them, and Polaris as a whole to avert being left holding 2 $8,000 boat anchors one day. Shame, because when they're on the water, they run like a raped ape!

Thread Information