Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Less low end after ocean pro fa's

My ski has seemed to be struggling on the low end for the past two seasons. It seems slow to hit the rpm's. I have had 2 different carbs on it, changed the fuel lines, checked the reeds, done a leakdown test, checked compression, etc.

I am running premix and it was running lean. I put bigger high speed jets in ( big jets 150, 152, 145; mag cen pto). It has better wash now and seems to be running overall better, and acceleration did not get any worse.

My stock air filter was in bad shape so I recently purchased a set of ocean pro flame arrestors from a member on here. Since installing them I seem to have even less low end than I had before.

Should I start playing with the low speed adjustment screws? Would this likely be a lean condition on the low end?

+1
    what do you mean by slow to hit RPM's?

1) You slam the throttle and it jumps and falls flat?

2) You slam the throttle and it blubbers along and then goes

3) You slam the throttle and you hear the engine go and the ski just seems to lag and then takes off.

+1
    A buddy gave me these questions:

1) You are lean

2) you are rich

3) you are Fat

mine was the third

haha, I'm somewhere around 165, so I don't think the third option is it.

I hit the throttle, the ski accelerates smoothly, but seems like its doggin it out of the hole. It doesn't fall flat, doesnt cut out, doesnt even really bog, just seems to climb rpm's slowly. I get burned pretty good by a slt780 off the line. The ski seems to have no pull until it gets moving. In order to jump a wave, I have to plan ahead so I can have a good amount of power...almost like turbo lag.

I'm hitting about 60mph on gps, so my high end seems to be near where it should be.

+1
    when was the last time you cleaned the carbs? maybe you have a clogged low speed or two. once to get to 3000 rpm or so, you transition to highs so top end would not be affected

+1
    I remember 165 that was college age. even a kawi 550 was fast then

I just changed the mid jets from 68 to 70 and put the high speed jets in about 3 weeks ago. At that time I cleaned out the screens and inspected the diaphragms.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I know you have Keihin carbs, but the Mikuni manual states that a less restrictive air box MAY require changing your poop off pressure.

A free flowing FA will need less pop off presssure than a restrictive set up.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    I know you have Keihin carbs, but the Mikuni manual states that a less restrictive air box MAY require changing your poop off pressure.

A free flowing FA will need less pop off presssure than a restrictive set up.
    Hmm, good point. That would explain why it seems like its running rich on the low end...however, its still concerning that the low end was pretty weak before the fa's (on two different carbs), but I agree, this has to be a carb/fuel delivery issue of some sort.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    you say you changed the mid jet from 68 to 70 but the mid jet is a 40 or 42,the lows are around 68-70 but the 01 slx ran 65 lows and 40 mids,the higher position of the 2 jets is the mid,the factory service manual has them backwards

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information