Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

broken timing chain... MUST REMOVE CRANKSHAFT...WTF!!!

ok so i get my 04 rxp SC torn down turns out its a snapped timing chain... start looking at it and read the shop manual and it said REMOVE CRANKSHAFT... are you fcuking kidding me!!! for a timing chain you have to remove the crank!!! please tell me there is a work around....

+1
    I think shibby found a way to do a chain without removing crank if my memory serves correctly, unfortunately I don't remember the procedure.

what parts do i need to order, other than the timing chain, timing gear, pto gasket, cam gear bolts, cam/rocker stretch bolts(if removed).... does the crank need anything? i dont see a gasket for the lower cases.. any new bearings for the crank? are those bolts on the case stretch bolts? jesus i cant belive they engineered it this way..that has got the be one of the dumbest ideas i have ever heard... in the past few weeks.

Turbo Doo's from Down Under one1one's Avatar
    If it had a broken chain you would want to remove the crank to inspect the gear on the crank, very carefully.

as in totally remove the crank, as in take the rods off the crank??!!! do i need to order new crankshaft bearings? what in the sam hell was seadoo thinking that is retarted

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostedH23a1 View Post
    as in totally remove the crank, as in take the rods off the crank??!!! do i need to order new crankshaft bearings? what in the sam hell was seadoo thinking that is retarted
    Usually dont break timing chains unless the chain was dameged by something. Usually caused by previous washer failure. I would be disassembling my entire engine to inspect for valve/piston damage caused by the chain breaking and also inspecting the oil pumps from the probable washer failure damage.

sheared of a bolt on a cam gear, thats what i am thinking snapped the chain. i found the head and the rest is broke of in the cam, hopefully i can use an easy out.. probably be a pain to drill

so if i remove the lower case, does that expose the bearings? or will i have to unbolt like a girlde that would expose the bearings? i would assume i have to replace all those...

+1
    take the pto cover off and you can see the crank gear. FYI your valves are bent. Pull the head

Quote Originally Posted by BoostedH23a1 View Post
    ok so i get my 04 rxp SC torn down turns out its a snapped timing chain... start looking at it and read the shop manual and it said REMOVE CRANKSHAFT... are you fcuking kidding me!!! for a timing chain you have to remove the crank!!! please tell me there is a work around....
    I feel your pain. My timing chain snapped on my RXT at 85 hours. Most of those were WOT offshore, but I never knew exactly why it snapped. Too big of a job for me to tackle, so I sold the boat as is. Good luck with the rebuild.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information