Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned User
    +1

Is my drive shaft seal bad?

I am getting water in my hull and I was wondering if the shaft seals are bad. I could not see any water coming in by the drive shaft, however the grease in the seal gets "washed out" rather quickly. maybe after only a few hours of riding. How can I check to see if this is the problem? I am also having some issue with cavitation or ventilation. Maybe these issues are all related?

Bryan

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Easiest to just replace the seals, rather then spending time diagnosing. Cost is minimal, and it doesn't take much time to do. Seals wear out over time, might as well change them anyways.

Remove the jet pump and drive shaft, then remove the through-hull assembly.

Jet Pump Maintenance and Service

Banned User
    +1
    I have the older style crimped housing....can I still pull the seals and replace them?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    I have the older style crimped housing....can I still pull the seals and replace them?
    I used to think not, but someone else on here said they did change theirs. Not sure if he was talking about the same type as you have

If you need to get a newer style housing, they are not expensive used.

I am sure John Zigler would have some - might even have the seals for them.

Polaris PWC Parts Sources

Banned User
    +1
    if it was leaking would I be able to see it coming in?

+1
    if it was leaking would I be able to see it coming in?
    Usually. Some only leak when the engine is running.

What model and year Polaris are we talking about?

Make sure the speedometer tube is connected under the drive shaft. There is a tiny plastic nipple under there that the clear tube for the speedometer connects to.

You can trace the leak by strapping the ski to the trailer front and rear. Take the seat off, and back it down the launch ramp until the jet pump is submerged. Now you can look around and see where the water is coming from. A small mirror can be helpful

Banned User
    +1
    its a 94 SL650. I have checked everything and found nothing obvious. I drove it without the seat off it and couldnt see anything coming in. When I get done riding, i can usually drain a few gallons from it when I tip the trailer up and pull the drain plug. it started leaking when I added a speedometer to it, but I have checked that fitting and connection and see no problems there. I specifically watched for water coming in under the drive shaft where the fitting is and I saw nothing coming in as I drove. However, I am wondering if I may have damaged the seals by removing and reinstalling the driveshaft a few times.

+1
    its a 94 SL650. .. When I get done riding, i can usually drain a few gallons from it when I tip the trailer up and pull the drain plug.

it started leaking when I added a speedometer to it, but I have checked that fitting and connection and see no problems there.

I specifically watched for water coming in under the drive shaft where the fitting is and I saw nothing coming in as I drove. However, I am wondering if I may have damaged the seals by removing and reinstalling the driveshaft a few times.
    Are the bilge siphons working properly?
    Your hull should have minimal water in it after riding.

The two bilge siphon hoses are supposed to be sucking up water from the bottom of the hull while you are riding. Make sure the bilge siphon tube mesh intake filters are not clogged and are properly hooked up and in position in the bottom rear of the hull.

The plastic elbows in the siphon hoses must be mounted high in the hull, and the tiny breather hole in each elbow must be clear.

Did you seal the speedometer pitot fitting to the hull with sealant?

Banned User
    +1
    I did not seal it with sealent, however I will do that as long as I have it all apart. I just purchased a rebuildable bearing housing from ebay and will put new seals in it when I get it. Which seals are correct for this housing? I also checked the siphon hoses. It seems as though one of the metal tubes in the jet nozzle may have been plugged. when I blew it out with compressed air, something went shooting out of one of the metal tubes. Also, one of my bilge hoses is loose in the bottom of the hull, so I will re glue the holder that holds it in the bottom of the hull.

+1
    The shaft seal carrier uses two Chicago Rawhide (SKF) 8702 seals. One on each end. Make sure the two bushings (bearings) inside the carrier are properly seated with the gap in the middle where the grease fitting injects. And make sure the two bushings are fairly snug with the driveshaft... too much wobble or wear can make the carrier ride off-center and cause premature seal failure. Tap the new seals in each end flush, metal lip in... spring around the rubber seal facing out on both ends.

I got my seals from Applied.com... got a local one here in town. Were < $3 each. Cheap and easy to replace.

As for the siphon tubes... mine were also blocked back at the hoses plugging into the side of the jet pump. Dang mud daubbers. You will know if they are clear if you can blow through them fairly easily. I grab mine from inside the hull and blow through them and make sure I hear bubbles (ski in the water)... that way I know they are clear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information