'97 Hurricane runs on one carb, idles only on the other.

The title sums it up. This happened after taking it out of storage. The rear carb idles and revs fine (although with a bit of drag from the front cylinder). The front carb idles, but when opening the throttle it only continues to idle and I hear the deep throaty sound of its trottle plate opening. Seems like the idle circuit is working, but nothing else on this carb. Thanks to the waste spark system, I narrowed this to a fuel issue. I used an extra spark plug laying on the head and connected each plug wire so I could determine how each cylider was doing. I have already taken the Keihan's apart and gave them a quick run through with carb cleaner trying to check all the orifices. They were both very clean to begin with and had no obvious issues. Any ideas? Is there a carb circuit I may have missed when cleaning? Thanks in advance everyone. Tim.

+1
    Are you actually looking down the carbs to determine fuel is or isn't flowing ?
    If I question lack of fuel, I'll spray carb cleaner in that carb( acts like adding fuel)

Have you checked compression ? Fuel pressure ?

It appears gas is not atomizing on the front carb. Tried carb cleaner, but mine wasn't flammable enough on either carb. It has fuel coming out the front carb return line to the fuel tank. I didn't check compression since it didn't seem like a compression problem to me. Unsure of fuel pressure, only that it is getting fuel. I've removed the carbs a second time to disassemble and check. Thanks! Tim

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Always check compression

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Always check compression
    +40 compression gauge has to be one of the best tools i have bought! i use it all the time!

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    you can just stick your thumb over the spark plug holes and if it doesn't push it off the hole is dead. you can feel it for free

Most likely not compression as it was running excellent last time out last year and this problem occurred immediately upon first start this year. Suction seems the same between intake holes. I will check compression though if my second carb disassembly doesn't do any better. UPDATE: I didn't take the carb apart far enough the first time as I was unable to take the middle plate off that opens the reservoir where the fuel screen is. The o-ring on the screen was stuck pretty good. I did find some junk in there and did quite a bit more cleaning than the first time earlier this week. I'll try to get them back on the 'Cane Tuesday evening and update this thread. Thanks for all who responded thus far. I really appreciate it. Tim

Update:

After reinstalling carbs for the second time, I still have the same problem. It's much easier to see problem when under load in the water as I tried tonight. Thumb-test-over-spark-plug-hole compression is the same for both cylinders. I can see fuel spray from center orifice when hitting full throttle on both carbs. I can see fuel spray from small holes in carb body at mid-throttle on rear carb only. This leads me to believe there is still a problem in the front carb at anything over idle speed. I will try to check fuel flow into front carb somehow. I'm open to ideas. I know there is fuel coming out of the front carb and back to the tank return. Thanks again! Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Timberalan View Post
    Most likely not compression as it was running excellent last time out last year and this problem occurred immediately upon first start this year. Suction seems the same between intake holes. I will check compression though if my second carb disassembly doesn't do any better. UPDATE: I didn't take the carb apart far enough the first time as I was unable to take the middle plate off that opens the reservoir where the fuel screen is. The o-ring on the screen was stuck pretty good. I did find some junk in there and did quite a bit more cleaning than the first time earlier this week. I'll try to get them back on the 'Cane Tuesday evening and update this thread. Thanks for all who responded thus far. I really appreciate it. Tim

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Good compression is good news. Lucky those carbs come off a lot easier than a Fuji triple. you got some thing going on in there.

Thread Information