Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

possible performance upgrades for a 750sl

Hello, I am new to this forum and also new to watercraft. I recently was given a 1994 polaris 750sl with 104 hours on it and was looking for places to go and things to do to this machine to up the power and speed as well as the reliability of the unit. I read somewhere that the fuel pump of choice is the 780 triple outlet pump so I will be doing that. The engine has even compression on all 3 cylinders. What reed valve upgrades would be in order, with possible jet changes to the carbs. Also, I have heard that a change in the intake for the jet would help. Can this engine be upgraded to 780 as they share the same crank assembly (so I was told). Is an aftermarket exhaust available for this machine? Any help from you more knowledgeable people would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

There are some upgrades possible. You just need to make sure you don't put more money or effort in than is warranted. If you want a big boost, often the best method is to sell your current machine and buy a faster model.

The best initial investment is in reliability. Most of that involves spending time checking and upgrading the known weak items, and making sure everything else is in good condition. Click the links below

What kinds of water do you ride in?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

There are many upgrades that can be done from mild to wild. But you need to come up with how much you're willing to spend.

The best upgrade would be to do a 780 top end. (which I have for sale by the way), but will also need other componenets to accompany the higher HP, like another impeller, and an extended jet pump would be a good upgrade. As well as some other stuff too.

Best bet is to just buy a ski with a bigger engine.

If you decide to install an extended pump look for a steering cable from a 95 SL 750 and install that also. The 92-94 SL's had a 3/16" steering cable, it will not hold up to added stress. I put an extended pump on a 93 SL 750 last year and the cable threads at the extension for the steering broke twice. I had a steering cable from a 95 SL and that cured it. The 95 cables are 1/4".

Good luck and have fun.

+1
    Actually, if you install an extended jet pump, get an extended steering cable from a SLX 780. That way you don't need to make an extension for the short pump steering cable.

And just to set things straight, I had a 94 SL 650 that I made an extension for the long jet pump, and never had a problem with the 3/16" cable for 3 years. Even bottomed out on a jump and snapped the steering nozzle. Extension had a slight bend, but never broke.

what other mods would be required for the 780 conversion? do you have the stuff for sale to do this? If so, how much. Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Actually, if you install an extended jet pump, get an extended steering cable from a SLX 780. That way you don't need to make an extension for the short pump steering cable.

And just to set things straight, I had a 94 SL 650 that I made an extension for the long jet pump, and never had a problem with the 3/16" cable. Even bottomed out on a jump and snapped the steering nozzle. Extension had a slight bend, but never broke.
    what extended jet pump would you reccommend to use, or is it something that I need to fabricate myself.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk.

There are many upgrades that can be done from mild to wild. But you need to come up with how much you're willing to spend.

The best upgrade would be to do a 780 top end. (which I have for sale by the way), but will also need other componenets to accompany the higher HP, like another impeller, and an extended jet pump would be a good upgrade. As well as some other stuff too.

Best bet is to just buy a ski with a bigger engine.
    I figured that since I was given the machine that I could throw a grand or so at it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by moreshok View Post
    what other mods would be required for the 780 conversion? do you have the stuff for sale to do this? If so, how much. Thanks for the advice.
    I have almost everything you'd need to do the conversion. You'll need to have the cyls bored for the new OEM .5mm pistons and wrist pin circlips for $400.

Then you'll need to rejet your 750 carbs for the 780 or buy a set of 780 carbs (I'd actually recommend doing this option)

Finally, will need to replace the impeller.

Your stock flywheel and stator will work with the CDI I'm including in the kit.

As for the extended jet pump, you just need to add a couple pieces to your exisitng pump. Longer cooling tube, longer bolts, wedge, and driveshaft.

Then you'll need to make an extension for the steering cable and trim linkage, plus the longer ride plate would be a bonus.

What would an estimate total dollar amount be for a 750 to a 780 conversion be?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information