Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'00 Genesis project, and hi from a new member

Hi all,

Last Friday morning, I was wondering around Craigslist, and I came across an add that seemed a little too good to be true. Some times, they are scams... but some times they are people just wanting to dump something. Anyway... I called the number on the add, and told them I wanted to come out and look at the Ski.

When I got out there, the ski was in pretty good shape, with only minor dock rash, but it was neglected. (sitting outside, uncovered) The person selling it said there was a drain on the battery from the gauge cluster, and that they had it in the water a few days before, and "It had a hard time going over 40 mph", and that it had a "Miss in the ignition."

Well... I plugged the gauge back in, and the ski started after just a few seconds of cranking... so at least the engine is good. Also, it was only showing about 78 hr on the clock.

After a little haggling I left there with the ski for $1000 !!!!!!!! Oh... and it is sitting on a very nice Triton aluminum trailer. For the price... I couldn't go wrong. I'm sure the parts are worth at least triple my purchase price. BUT... my intent it to get her running.

On Saturday, I pulled the carbs and cleaned them. There looked very good inside, but I did find one of the accelerator jets was clogged, and that one of the filters was not snapped on to the seat. I also replaced the Tempo fuel lines... and flushed, refilled, and bled the oil injection.

The next thing I want to do is pull the pump, and check it over... along with the drive shaft seal. If I can get that done tonight after work... I'm going to try to throw it in the water in the next couple days.

Last thing. (a little about myself) I've owned watercraft going back into the early 80's... and I have owned all of the big brands, other than Polaris. So... even though I have good knowledge of water craft... this adventure is also a learning experience for me.

Let me know what you guys think.

BTW... this place looks like it has a ton of good info for Polaris.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

While you are cleaning up the fuel system, make sure the fuel/water separator is air tight. You might want to clean out the fuel selector valve, make sure it is free flowing and is not leaking air into the fuel lines. Fuel system is under suction from tank to fuel pump

Check cylinder compression. All spark plugs out, throttle wide open.

Make sure the interior of the electrical box is very dry, with zero corrosion.

Make sure you have the correct spark plugs installed.

If the reverse lever is sticking or binding, that can be easily fixed.

Lube all the cables at the jet pump I like to injected some lube under the rubber boots. Make sure the pivots on the nozzles are all in good shape.

Bilge pump should run when bilge button is pressed, AND should run any time the engine is running. Same with PERC electric reverse, if you have electric reverse.

Click the link below, for more things...
    Last edited by K447; 07-21-2010 at 10:42 PM.

K447...

I was hopping you would chime in. It seems like you are the head guru here in the Polaris section.

Thanks for the heads up... I always appreciate the input.

The fuel select valve is clean... the water separator/ filter is clean, and a new O-ring installed.

The compression was 130 on all 3 cyl. (cold, open throttle, and the battery is weak)

A fresh set of BR9ES plugs was installed.

The steering cable is tight... but since I am pulling the pump later... I figure I would address that then. (along with lubing the rest of the system and cables)

The reverse gate works fine... along with the bilge pump.

I will pop the electrical box open, and check for moisture.

I'll add to this thread as I progress.

Thanks again.

I got the pump pulled out last night, and it's in good shape. But the driveshaft seal is not very happy. Also... it looks like at one time, the pump or driveshaft seal was seized, and someone used a pipe wrench on the driveshaft to break it free. Fortunately, it's on the part of the shaft that is between the engine, and the drive shaft seal. I can probably trim the boot a little, and move the seal down onto a clean part of the shaft.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    My guess is someone may have changed a coupler,or a prop,and just grabbed the shaft to hold it. Sounds like you'll have a nice ski there pretty cheap,Congrats

Tonight I worked on the electrical gremlins.

The other day, after I cleaned the carbs... I noticed that the tach wasn't working. I also noticed that the reverse wouldn't work while running, and it didn't seem to be charging. So, tonight, I decided to open the electrical box. Everything inside looked OK, but I pulled a few wires apart just to make sure nothing looked corroded.

Everything looked good, but I was reading 13 M Ohm's for the charging coil. (Should be 0.75 ohms) So, I checked it at the plug off of the engine, and it was good. But, as I was looking for a broken wire... the yellow, and the red/purple wire pulled right out of the plug. The Red/Purple was ugly, and corroded, but the yellow was burnt!

After taking a little break, and eating dinner... it dawned on me that those wires were the main power... and some "Genius" at Polaris decided that the thin little pins in that connector were good enough. Well... as I thought about it... the old saying... "10Lbs of crap in a 5lb bag" kept running though my head, and I decided that there was no way that those pins could support 12a of power, so I cut the wires loose on the other side of the plug, and just put those 2 wires in their own plug that could easily handle the max current.

I'm pleased to say that now... the tach is working, it's charging, and the reverse gate works while running.

While I was in the box... I also found that the 1/4a fuse socket was loose. So I cleaned it, squeezed the tabs tighter, and put the fuse back in.

Tomorrow, my driveshaft seals should be here, and hopefully, I'll be able to take it for a little test ride on Friday.

All I have to say with this ski is.........

SOME PEOPLE SHOULD NOT OWN TOOLS!!!

OK... I got this ski cheap because it had things wrong with it... but I was laughing last night at some of the HACK things I found.

I rebuilt the driveshaft seal with a kit from SBT, and I noticed that the though hull fitting seemed loose. I also knew that there was a huge glob of vinyl caulking on it. (not even RTV) well, the caulking pealed right off since they didn't clean the hull before applying it... but then as I was checking the though hull fitting... it looked like they glued it on with gray 3-bond (1211, or 1215) Eitherway... it was coming out, and getting cleaned.

After getting the fitting out, and cleaned off all the sealant... I realized there was a grove for an O-ring... but there wasn't one in it. (morons) And the last owner told me that a local shop did all the work. I'm not going to say who... but the so called "Pro" mechanic needs to be slapped !!

Anyway... it's all cleaned up, and re assembled. I'm hopping to sneak out of the shop early to go for a test ride. I'll post a few pics if I do.

Hi Guys,

I know I'm just talking to myself... but I like to finish the posts I start, as it may help someone in the future.

OK... I got a chance to take it out on Saturday. It started up almost instantly, and idled perfectly. Since I found the problems with the charging coil... it now charges the battery, and the tach is working... but the bilge pump, and reverse still isn't' working while the engine is running. I will dig though the wires again... but I have a feeling that the LR505 is bad.

Now, for the real issue. As I got onto the throttle, it had a pretty bad ignition miss. (The last owner said it did) I have a gut feeling that the start/stop module is feeding a bad signal to the CDI. Later this week... I'm going to disconnect it from the system, and go take it for a second test.

If anyone has had an intermittent ignition miss... l let me know what you found.

I will say this... the ignition cleared up for a few seconds... and the thing shot off like a bat out of hell !! It didn't quite get up to 6500 rpm... but It was registering 52 mph on the gauge. I really didn't think that big hull would go that fast. I can't wait until it's running right.

Blaaa.... Blaaaa.... Blaaaaa....

Sorry.

I got all caught up with the work at my shop, so I'm planning on taking the Genesis out for a trouble shooting session at the lake tomorrow. It runs great on the trailer... so I need to put it out on the water.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Here's a few pics from it's maiden voyage.

Got it onto the double trailer, and getting Ready (makes my old Si look tiny)

My ugly, bald head, and my little girl.

It found some Friends

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Honda View Post
    ...I know I'm just talking to myself... but I like to finish the posts I start, as it may help someone in the future.
    I appreciate you making the effort. It does help others, now or later on.

... but the bilge pump, and reverse still isn't' working while the engine is running. I will dig though the wires again... but I have a feeling that the LR505 is bad.
    Could well be the case

Now, for the real issue. As I got onto the throttle, it had a pretty bad ignition miss. (The last owner said it did) I have a gut feeling that the start/stop module is feeding a bad signal to the CDI. Later this week... I'm going to disconnect it from the system, and go take it for a second test...
    Does this unit have the Red/Purple wire from the CDI connected to the Orange terminals?

From your description, I would guess it does not.

Before you disconnect the LR module to fix the ignition miss, try unplugging and by-passing the MFI display. Takes a minute to do, and one wire jumper. Sometimes the MFI display can go bad and back-feed into the CDI and mess things up. Link in my signature leads to MFI display by-psss.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information