New Owner, New season, New problems

Hello- My brother and I bought a 2000/2001 Polaris Pro1200 Last summer. Took it out only a few times during the season, and had it winterized. I put in new spark plugs, attached the battery, and took off all the coverings around the intake and exhaust.

I attempted to take it out for the first time last weekend. The ski started up just fine and smoked quite a bit (due to fogging oil I assume), but then once I would hit the accelerator it died, and did this a couple times. Then I started it and let it run for a few minutes before accelerating, and once I accelerated, the RPM's increased but the ski did not move (did not propel me forward in the water), and water was splashing behind me. To me it seems like it is stuck between a gear? But I am new to Jetski's and need some advice!

Can anyone help me please?!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by PPro1200 View Post
    Hello- My brother and I bought a 2000/2001 Polaris Pro1200 Last summer. Took it out only a few times during the season, and had it winterized. I put in new spark plugs, attached the battery, and took off all the coverings around the intake and exhaust.

I attempted to take it out for the first time last weekend. The ski started up just fine and smoked quite a bit (due to fogging oil I assume), but then once I would hit the accelerator it died, and did this a couple times. Then I started it and let it run for a few minutes before accelerating, and once I accelerated, the RPM's increased but the ski did not move (did not propel me forward in the water), and water was splashing behind me. To me it seems like it is stuck between a gear? But I am new to Jetski's and need some advice!

Can anyone help me please?!
    What coverings are you referring to?

It sounds like the drive splines have stripped at one end or the other of the drive shaft.

Remove the jet pump and drive shaft, and inspect.

Jet Pump Maintenance and Service

What maintenance have you done?

Click the link below for more info and guidance.

By coverings I simply meant the duct tape I put over the intake and exhaust so that no critters got into it during the winter in my pole barn.

Do you have any instructions about drive splines or removing the jet pump? I know nothing of this nature. I am handy, just new to Jetski's.

When I bought this Ski last summer, the manual was not included..

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    What coverings are you referring to?

It sounds like the drive splines have stripped at one end or the other of the drive shaft.

Remove the jet pump and drive shaft, and inspect.

Jet Pump Maintenance and Service

What maintenance have you done?

Click the link below for more info and guidance.

the nozle has 4 long bolts that secure it to the jet housing remove those first then remove the hose that is attached to the thru hull water intake tube and remove that piece as well. next the jet drive housing has four bolts that secure it to the hull remove those bolts and the drive shaft and impeller housing should all come out together sometimes they get a little stuck if it hasent ever been pulled. its a pretty easy process and should take about 30 min to pull it and inspect it. if you can get your hands on an exploded view of the drive system it will give you a good idea of how the drive housing all goes together and comes apart

Thread Information