Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RXP-X - Bone stock speed / RPM concerns

Ok so I have by Bone stock RXP-X '09 with about 12 hrs on it. Since being freshly out of break in and in a smooth cove I was testing out my top speed. Little upset / Concerned about what I found.

'09 RXP-X bone stock, two riders total about 295 lbs, 1/2 tank, 87deg water, 90deg air trim just notched above center. Pulling 7750 RPM's and about 67.5 mph.

Yes I know if I am looking to 100% top speed don't have 2nd rider and all the fuel. But I figured I should have gotten up closer to the rev limiter right? Ski was running for a good time with periods of sitting meaning hull temp was definately warm also.

So questions - what is the Limiter on RXP-X? I thought it was about 8100-8200. Are you guys not surprized as the speed result from that info, or do you think I should have been going faster? Thanks.

Based on you having nearly 300 pounds of rider weight, hot air and water temps, probably could have trimmed up a bit...... I think your spot on. You have alot of factors working against you given your test conditions. I would test again with just you riding, run your trim a notch down from the very top and crouch/duck or superman the ski for maximum aerodynamics, I think you will see a much different outcome.

canadian iceman
    +1
    what is your elevation?? you must be more than 2000 feet above sea level and or you will need to take some trailing edge pitch out of your prop to achieve 8100! just my 2cents

+1
    That's about right bro.. 4in air and grate the try again.

+1
    That's about right bro.. 4in air and grate then try again.

forgot about altitude. I am in NJ riding in a salt water bay. I think my Handheld GPS was showing 25 ft ...

I will certainly try in either a lake or the same cove solo, but the sig other wanted to ride on the "New" ski.

Assuming all is good I should be reving in the range of 8100rpms in smooth to small chop / ripples right?

canadian iceman
    +1
    if you are at 25 ft then altitude is NOT your problem...like the guy's have said...skid the passenger...burn some fuel and put the trim a bit past half ish and you will be good! I still suggest a tweek to the prop!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RMcElarney View Post
    forgot about altitude. I am in NJ riding in a salt water bay. I think my Handheld GPS was showing 25 ft ...

I will certainly try in either a lake or the same cove solo, but the sig other wanted to ride on the "New" ski.

Assuming all is good I should be reving in the range of 8100rpms in smooth to small chop / ripples right?
    Not necessarily ... actually as the others have said, your rpms and speed are good for the riding conditions you described. Just because the rev limiter might be around 8150 does not mean the ski will run that stock ... on a 75 degree day with low humidity, one person, lower on fuel, you might easily hit 8000 rpm and 70 mph ... heat and humidity make a big difference on rpms and therefore speed. My modded RXP ran 8550 rpms earlier in the year, 70 deg water and air, low humidity ... on a 90 degree day with HIGH humidity, it ran 8200 rpms ... on an 80 degree day with less humidity, it ran 8350 - 8400.

Definitely do what Ocman said ... add grate and 4 inch air intake ... no matter what the conditions are, those both help a lot with speed on your ski.

Still a little gun shy with modding. My '04 RXP had some mods done and the ski felt great up till the minute it blew the motor ... This one pulls harder and assuming it will run 70 or so mph on good days about the same top speed as my RXP. Also I jumped on the 4 year warranty when I got the RXP-X two weeks ago, so looking to make sure I don't void that.

4inch intake is so tempting. I remember how small certain sections of the stock intake was and looks like this beast has the same restrictions ...

Your right on with that speed/rpm stock @ those temps, I was surprised what the Intake Grate did alone on mine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information