Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is your BIGGEST mistake?

Boy did I [email protected]#k up pertty bad. I ride alot in lakes and rivers. I tend to beach my pwc at islands and other natural landings. I took a look at the bottom of my craft and didn't like what I saw. SO I painted pickup truck bed liner on the bottom. Well I thought I'd lose 3 maybe 4 mph, and I could live with that, with the bottom being protected. Well I went out for the first time, took along the gps. It didn't take long to realize that I just [email protected]#ked up. I lost 9 mph. The braking was greatly improved.
    So I proceeded to spend 5 hours with paint stripper for Vetts. Fiberglass and gelcoat safe. Removed and leason learned.
    My question now, does any one know of a good protecter for the bottom of boats?

I baught and installed a keel guard, it's about 6 in. wide and comes in differant lengths, it's made of a heavy rubber, I put a five foot one on my boat, they're right pricey but worth it, they come in differant colors also

David N

Very hard to get a thick keel guard to stick through all of the curves of some PWCs. I had one on an RXP and it peeled off one day. It was a bit of a shock to the handling until I jumped in the water to pull it the rest of the way off.
    I beach alot myself and do some Gelcote patching in the off-season. I would like to see a thinner Keel Guard that wouldn't fight the curves in the hull so much.

Banned User
    +1
    those don't seem all that bad or costly IMO ive had some costly ones hahaha

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by H2oinmyveins View Post
    The braking was greatly improved.

I laid my keel guard out flat in the sun while i preped the hull and it was very flexible, the trick with these is after you do the prep to the hull, heat the adhesive up with a heat gun and it will stick better, just make sure you get it in the right place the first time

David N

DOO or DIE
    Biggest mistake.......well........ I owned a wetjet once......................
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have a wetjet i had to upgrade to a 2005 rxt what a BIG difference.lolmy biggest mistake was last week went jetski'n and my buddy was the only ones out on the lake maybe because it looked like it was going to rain but didnt. anyways it was his 1st time out on a ski.i went in the middle of the lake yelled to him that i was going to jump in and go for a swim.i took off my perscription eyes layed them down where your feet go on the ski.(BIG MISTAKE!) he came near me to splash some water wave at me and rocked my ski and BULP.there went my eyes into the lake well needless to say there Gone.i had to drive 1 hour home squiting the eyes to see.and i paid $450.00 for them.and was out on the lake for a total of 32 minutes,,,
    thats my BIG MISTAKE!...and a costly one at that.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    my biggest mistake was honestly not my fault...I bought a new battery but the charges were reversed according to the markings on the top of the battery. i hooked it up and *pop* there goes the MPEM, CDI, and MSD ignition enhancer. $600 F$%^ up

+1
    Lending my 1 month old ski to my cousin. Sure enough he somehow managed to crash it straight into a pillar and almost totaled my ski.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information