PWC Fishing in Louisiana Marshes?

Newb here.. I figured I'd ask the question since I see a few LA guys posting regularly here.

I don't know much about jetskis to really know the differences. We've mainly been strictly fishing out of a bay boat and kayak... mostly kayak lately due to the spill. Recently, we've been pondering the idea of fishing out of a ski since paddling more than a few miles is pretty tough and most of the boating area is closed off (Barataria bay area). The skis would also give us some recreational activities and touring. Also, the skis would be pretty much 100% used in saltwater.

Few questions:

1. What's the minimum amount of water that a ski should be in to avoid any problems?
    2. Would a Yamaha VX be a good choice? (we're looking at possibly getting 2)
    3. As long as we flush it out and keep maintenance up, would we have any issues in saltwater with the VX?
    4. Should we consider a Sea Doo GTI instead due to the closed loop cooling?

Thanks

+1
    Hey Kevin, welcome to the forum. One thing I like about PWC fishing: It's fun getting to and from the honey-holes. I'll try to answer your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinV View Post
    Newb here.. I figured I'd ask the question since I see a few LA guys posting regularly here.

I don't know much about jetskis to really know the differences. We've mainly been strictly fishing out of a bay boat and kayak... mostly kayak lately due to the spill. Recently, we've been pondering the idea of fishing out of a ski since paddling more than a few miles is pretty tough and most of the boating area is closed off (Barataria bay area). The skis would also give us some recreational activities and touring. Also, the skis would be pretty much 100% used in saltwater.

Few questions:

1. What's the minimum amount of water that a ski should be in to avoid any problems? I'm comfortable idling in 3 feet, but far a WOT take-off, you should be in 5 feet.
    2. Would a Yamaha VX be a good choice? (we're looking at possibly getting 2) I'm not going to be brand specific, but stick w/a 3 seater (comments below).
    3. As long as we flush it out and keep maintenance up, would we have any issues in saltwater with the VX? No comment except that any brand should be flushed after riding in the salt.
    4. Should we consider a Sea Doo GTI instead due to the closed loop cooling? I ride an RXT and have had no problems w/the closed loop, but I still flush when riding in the salt.

Thanks
    Not trying to sway you, but I built a rack (a DIY is stickied at the top of the PWC Fishing Forum) based on the RXT platform, but I'm sure it can be modded for any brand. I'd like to learn some new areas, too. I'm not familiar w/the Barataria/JL area. Furthest east I've ever fished was the marsh around Dulac, but I haven't been there in years. When I'm on the water w/the fishing tackle, I'm usually in the marsh south of By.Black/Gibson.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I've looked at your rack and it looks nice. I'll definitely try it out.

Welcome KevinV, 504tim and myself fish down in the LA marshes on our skis, mainly cocodrie, bayou bienvenue and the lake. We try to avoid idling in water less than a foot. I have a 07 Kawasaki 250x. This ski is heavy and sits lower than 504tim's 05 RXT. Good luck and we might have to get a trip planned one day!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisnola20 View Post
    Welcome KevinV, 504tim and myself fish down in the LA marshes on our skis, mainly cocodrie, bayou bienvenue and the lake. We try to avoid idling in water less than a foot. I have a 07 Kawasaki 250x. This ski is heavy and sits lower than 504tim's 05 RXT. Good luck and we might have to get a trip planned one day!!!

I'm game...

Thread Information