Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy 2001 Genesis LR Module?

I recently replaced the starter and bendix on my ski and it runs like a bandit on the lake. The problem now is that when I shut it off after it is warm is will not restart. I have been reading all the posts on this site. I checked my CDI and it has the update with the red/purple wire converted to the orange lead now going to the orange terminal. Do I now replace the LR-505 module inside the fuse box?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by KC Detective View Post
    I recently replaced the starter and Bendix on my ski and it runs like a bandit on the lake.

The problem now is that when I shut it off after it is warm is will not restart.

I have been reading all the posts on this site. I checked my CDI and it has the update with the red/purple wire converted to the orange lead now going to the orange terminal.

Do I now replace the LR-505 module inside the fuse box?
    It is possible that the LR Start/Stop module is the problem, but first let's verify that the CDI Red/Purple wire is indeed connected correctly.

Is your Genesis fuel injected or carburetor?

Can you post a few clear photos showing the wiring connections in the electrical box?

Tip: Use close-up mode (flower icon)

K447 thanks for all your help. It has carburetors. (thank God) The red/purple wire comes from the CDI and has been spliced(black shrink wrap) to an orange wire coming from the orange terminal block. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00139.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	204910

+1
    ...It has carburetors. (thank God)

The red/purple wire comes from the CDI and has been spliced(black shrink wrap) to an orange wire coming from the orange terminal block. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00139.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	204910
    Put your multi-meter on that Orange terminal, and to Black (ground). Measure the DC voltage before you start the engine, while the engine is running, and after you shut the engine down.

I want to know if the Orange voltage stays up after the engine shuts down. The Orange wire should drop to zero volts right away when the engine stops. The LR module might be allowing the voltage to stay up when it gets warm.

If the voltage on the Orange wire is behaving, then the problem may be something else entirely.

I am getting 4 volts DC on the multimeter when I try to start the ski. It will not start up. I pulled a plug and I do not see any spark. The plug is good.

I had the fuse box boards unfastened to the box. After I put them back in place I had 10+ volts.

+1
    I had the fuse box boards unfastened to the box.

After I put them back in place I had 10+ volts.
    Exactly what voltages did you measure before, during, and after?

10+ volts is not accurate enough.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Put your multi-meter on that Orange terminal, and to Black (ground). Measure the DC voltage before you start the engine, while the engine is running, and after you shut the engine down.

I want to know if the Orange voltage stays up after the engine shuts down. The Orange wire should drop to zero volts right away when the engine stops. The LR module might be allowing the voltage to stay up when it gets warm.

If the voltage on the Orange wire is behaving, then the problem may be something else entirely.

I put the red lead of the multi meter on the orange terminal and the black lead of the multi meter on the black ground. The ski will only turn over. IT WILL NOT RUN. so I can only check the cranking volts. It reads 10 Volts and that is it.

+1
    I recently replaced the starter and Bendix on my ski and it runs like a bandit on the lake.

The problem now is that when I shut it off after it is warm is will not restart...
    I put the red lead of the multi meter on the orange terminal and the black lead of the multi meter on the black ground.

The ski will only turn over. IT WILL NOT RUN. so I can only check the cranking volts. It reads 10 Volts and that is it.
    The voltage feeding into the CDI while cranking must be over 10.6 volts, or you will not have spark.

Is the battery getting weak?

I have a battery charger on it and it is cranking fast. The battery indicator on the MFI says 11.6 volts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information