Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Supercharger Rebuild

I am rebuilding the supercharger and I have the new overhaul kit and the instruction say that there is an oiling hole and mine doesn't have the oiling hole in the housing can i keep regular housing or drill hole in it.

+1
    I have the newer '08 rebuild kit in my older style('07 without the oil hole) SC housings and it works fine. Most people will not use the SC washers that come with the kit and use the Riva washers.

So the washers in the rebuild kit aren't recommended? $400+ for parts for a SC rebuild every 100 hrs. is pretty steep. Or is 100 hrs. just the first time for pre-08 models? Thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by darrel View Post
    So the washers in the rebuild kit aren't recommended? $400+ for parts for a SC rebuild every 100 hrs. is pretty steep. Or is 100 hrs. just the first time for pre-08 models? Thanks.
    The washers in the rebuild kit are fine, as long as you manage the slipping moment of your supercharger clutch. I always throw a shim in for good measure when I'm rebuilding my chargers. I also check and correct the slipping moment every 20 hours, or so.

To answer your question: YES - you'll have to rebuild your supercharger every 100hrs of usage. You risk bearing failure if you don't.

I just ordered the rebuild tools and a few shims. Where do you put the shims? I checked the SC slip and have about 6.5-7 ft. lbs. of slip. How many shims should I use? I assume if there is any wear on the washers that the wear will be obvious? Thanks again.

+1
    I just ordered the rebuild tools and a few shims. Where do you put the shims? I checked the SC slip and have about 6.5-7 ft. lbs. of slip. How many shims should I use?
    This should help. >>> CLICK <<< I think I increased my slipping moment 2 ft. lbs. per shim. You just install one at a time and check the slipping moment.

I assume if there is any wear on the washers that the wear will be obvious?
    You have to remove the washers to notice wear on them...

The idea is to keep them from slipping too much - to ensure they last 100 hours.

GL.

I know you'd have to take the washers out to see wear but wondered if the wear would be obvious after removing. Thanks for the shimming link. It looks like we should try to get 12-15ft. lbs. on a stock charger correct?

+1
    Thanks for the shimming link. It looks like we should try to get 12-15ft. lbs. on a stock charger correct?
    Yeah, no problem. My service manual says: a new Supercharger is (89 - 150 inch lbs), so I would say 10 ft lbs (or a hair under) is a good number to maintain with the stock supercharger. 12 - 15 ft lbs is a bit too much for a stock wheel IMO.

I checked the SC slip and have about 6.5-7 ft. lbs. of slip. How many shims should I use?
    I would only add one shim for now. It should put you around 105 inch lbs... well within the service limit. Check it again after about 20 - 30 hours of use and adjust as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Craigo View Post

The idea is to keep them from slipping too much - to ensure they last 100 hours.

GL.
    <---- <------

+1
    I assume if there is any wear on the washers that the wear will be obvious?
    Here are a few pictures of my SC clutch washers from my original rebuild - they had 89 hours on them when I yanked 'em. I never maintained the slip moment and beat the crap out of them - unhooking on average 20 times a minutes, some of the time. I ride CHOP only ...

For your reference: worn out stock clutch washers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Washers1.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	205202 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Washers.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	205203

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information