Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'99 Genesis Ficht injection

I have a '99 Genesis with Ficht injection. I was out on it in fresh water all day long. Parked it for a few hours and idled through a slow zone, when I punched it if felt as if fell out of gear and into neutral. Now I know there are no gears or a clutch but thatís what it sounded like. In any case, the engine sounds and revs fine however there is no propulsion. Back on the trailer looking into the propulsion system I can see the stator turning slowly when I start it up but when I rev the engine it only turns slightly. The impeller does not turn at all, not a good sign. I am wondering if I snapped the drive shaft and or seized the impeller. From looking at the impeller it seems that all of the blades are fine. I took off the shroud in the engine bay to see where the drive shaft comes off of the engine and that part spins at full rpm. However, the coupler is not spinning and seems to be turning slightly perhaps from engine vibration. Any help would be appreciated.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

I am not sure what you are describing. The drive shaft coupler is directly mounted onto the PTO output of the engine crank shaft, so it must be turning with the engine.

Directly behind the coupler is the through-hull bearing+seal assembly. It is clamped to the hull at the rear end, and the drive shaft runs through it.

The jet pump stator is fixed to the hull, and will not be turning, not even slightly. The only things that rotate are the impeller, the drive shaft, and the coupler at the engine.

In any case, you must remove the jet pump and investigate what has failed. My guess is the splines at one or both ends of the drive shaft have become stripped.

Jet Pump Maintenance and Service

'99 Genesis drive shaft

Thanks for your detailed reply. New to understanding jet pumps, I think I got turned around looking at the exploded view of the entire assembly. So the stator is at the end (end of the boat) and it does not move. The impeller is located between the stator and the engine. That would explain why I canít turn the stator by reaching in with my fingers and trying to rotate it! The impeller turns ever so slightly when the engine is on and reved. I would agree with your assessment of the splines on the drive shaft being stripped. Any ideas what would cause them to strip? I will take the pump apart as per the link you provided. Any pointers on what to look out for while taking this apart and putting back together? If the splines are stripped what else would need to be replaced and what other damage should I keep my eyes open for? Thanks for your help so far!

+1
    Watch the video and read the linked threads regarding jet pump removal.

It is fairly straightforward.

Once you get it apart, the damage should be evident.

Sometimes the rubber bonded coupler at the engine can fail, so check that too.

When a rubber bonded drive shaft coupler goes bad

Will do, thank you!

OK, I got the drive shaft out and have inspected both ends and the splines look fine. However, the end that goes to the engine does not have the rubber drive shaft bumper on the end as does the end that goes into the impeller. Looking into the end of the boat I can’t see the rubber drive shaft bumper in there. When I push the drive shaft back in towards the engine the splines line up and I can’t spin the shaft so I know it is seating. However, when I look down into the hull I can see the drive shaft. I’m guessing that that is where part of the bonded coupler was and should be. I also noticed that the drive shaft is soured in the area that part of the bonded coupler would be. So I will be ordering a new coupler as well as the o-ring and bumper for the drive shaft.
    So I am guessing my problem is that part of the bonded coupler is gone and needs to be replaced.
    I found the post in regards the piece of rope trick to get the coupler off!
    So the questions would be am I diagnosing the problem correctly?
    Is the scoured drive shaft an issue?
    What size wrench is called for to unscrew the coupler?
    While I am in there should I replace the bearing, bearing housing etc regardless?
    Where do I order parts for this?
    Please let me know if there are any other items I should replace at this time and or upgrade.
    Thanks!
    Craig

+1
    Have you looked at the links in my signature?

Post up clear photos of the coupler, and the drive shaft. Use close-up mode on the camera (flower icon).

If the bonded coupler failed, where did the broken pieces go?

Your Genesis is eleven years old. I would replace the through-hull seals while had it apart.

When you remove the old seals, inspect the through-hull bushing inside for wear. Should be a smooth fit over the drive shaft, not worn into an oval. Should have very little side-side play on the drive shaft.

Be sure to inspect the jet pump and bearings. Impeller should turn smoothly with no gritty feel or bearing slop. Impeller blades and stator vanes should not be dinged or bent.

When you re-install the jet pump, use a feeler gauge to measure the clearance between the blades and the surrounding wear ring. You can temporarily install the pump without the drive shaft to check the clearance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drive Coupler with out drive shaft.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	205329Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drive shaft section under shroud.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	205328Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drive Coupler with drive shaft.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	205327Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drive shaft engine end.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	205326Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drive Coupler and Bearing Carrier 2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	205325Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Impeller and Stator 1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	205324Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Impeller and Stator 2.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	205323Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drive shaft impeller end.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	205322Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shroud (1).jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	205321Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drive Coupler.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	205320
    Here are the various pictures. I’m not sure if I am missing a part of the bonded coupler or not. I am not finding a clear description of this in the repair manual that I have acquired and all that is in the hull is in regards to debris is some fine rubber pieces coated in oil. The black shroud pictured that was over the coupler has nothing splattered on the inside. Also, it looks as if the bearing housing is out of alignment with the coupler. However, when I reinsert the drive shaft is slides right in. One of the pictures shows the driveshaft installed and the others without. One of the driveshaft pics shows the scoring of the shaft where I think that part of the coupler may be missing. The other pics show some light dings on the impeller and stator, should this be of concern? Any ideas?

+1
    That rubber bonded coupler has failed.

Replace it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One more item, the start button, at times when I try and shut it off it will not turn off unless I pull the lanyard out. Is there a fix or do I need to order a new Start/Stop button?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information