Lightbulb HELP! My Kawasaki 900zxi jet ski won't turn over?!?!

Long story short. I got the ski(1996 Kawasaki 900sxi) ready in the spring and we had it running great with ZERO problems. Well, we finally got a new lift and we tried to start it with no avail. I bought a new battery thinking that was the issue...still it would not even turn over. We checked the fusses and the battery connections and it still won't turn over. the ski IS getting power (the gauges come on), it just won't turn over. I have no idea what is wrong. it has a new battery(that we even had checked), good cable connectors, and good fusses and it won't even turn over. With summer coming to an end, and a recent purchase of a new PWC dock, I am at wits end.

Please help!!!
    Last edited by 1998232v6; 07-20-2010 at 09:15 PM.

also, would it make a difference if the battery they gave me was not one of the types you fill yourself? The battery I had in it(when it ran) was the one that you fill yourself. The new battery is "Maintenance free"

I would check your connections at the starter and even test your starter. Which means you are going to have to take it off and make two test leads from a batter to the posts in the starter. You ether have a bad ground at the starter or a bad starter. You do have two grounds to the battery right?

Quote Originally Posted by Texan78 View Post
    I would check your connections at the starter and even test your starter. Which means you are going to have to take it off and make two test leads from a batter to the posts in the starter. You ether have a bad ground at the starter or a bad starter. You do have two grounds to the battery right?
    I have one ground(with two wires) that goes on the - side of the battery.

it won't get any power now

Update: Got it to turn over

I did it by following these instructions I found when I googled my problem..the person with the problem also had a 1996 900zxi

Try jumping the solenoid,see if it cranks the motor over. Use a needle nose plyers and touch both lugs on the solenoid, what happens? If it cranks replace solenoid. Some times solenoids will just click and nothing happens and some times they dont click and nothing happens.
    I am going to start to dissemble it now

update to help others who have this problem

I got my new starter solenoid today. It took me all of an hour to get my ski put back together. While I had the box open that had all the relays in it, I also took the opportunity to change my spark plug wires with new NGK performance spark plug wires. I cleaned out all the corrosion that was in there from when it was rolled over and filled with water. I fixed two gaskets as well, they were broken and letting moister into the case letting the corrosion happen. I believe the corrosion is what made the solenoid bad causing it not to be strong enough to kick the ski over. After I did all that, I put it all back together and it started right up. I will be launching it on Saturday. I hope this helps someone in the future.

Thread Information