Will a 650 swap in a 1996 Waveraider?

Hello, I currently have a 96 waveraider hull and a clean 650 engine laying around. I'm learning about these old school ski's and am looking forward to some hands on training.
    I'm interested in swapping the 650 engine into the waveraider.
    Is it a direct swap into the waveraider?
    I do have the multiple mounts on my waveraider hull, I also have all of the electrical and parts from the donor ski which is a 1990 Waverunner 3.
    I tried searching and found limited results. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider3 View Post
    Hello, I currently have a 96 waveraider hull and a clean 650 engine laying around. I'm learning about these old school ski's and am looking forward to some hands on training.
    I'm interested in swapping the 650 engine into the waveraider.
    Is it a direct swap into the waveraider?
    I do have the multiple mounts on my waveraider hull, I also have all of the electrical and parts from the donor ski which is a 1990 Waverunner 3.
    I tried searching and found limited results. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Yes it will work. You need to switch over your bed plates/engine cradles to the 6R7 versions. The electrical and everything else will work fine. Your biggest issue is how you are going to route you 650 exhaust to the waterbox. The 650 exhaust dumps out in the front while the stock raider exhaust dumped out in the back. A simple fix to this issue would be a flexible rubber exhaust hose from a plumbing store. Good luck.

Adam

My guess is yes the block will fit, pump too, I'd wonder about the exhaust.
    With a 650 I hope you're not expecting a performance craft. Building it for guests or kids?
    I've got some 38 carbs laying around that I've posted in classifieds. I really need them to leave my garage. If you want them, PM me.

650 swap

Thanks for the quick response. I have the donor ski so I have all of the parts. Can I use my original 1100 pump, If not is the Waverunner 3 650 pump and intake grate a direct fit.
    The WR3 does have a protec intake grate will this fit the waveraider?
    Does anyone know the diameter of the exhaust hose and estimated length that I would need?
    I'm hoping to have everything readily available when I start the swap.
    I'm not expecting much performance just hoping to have a reliable guest ski to take out on the water and have fun. I'm guessing 35-40mph with the 650 in waveraider hull, shorty rideplate, intake grate. What do you guys think.
    I m really looking for this to be a reliable, gas efficient, fun machine. I am also looking forward to gaining some hands on experience during the swap. I'll keep you guys posted.
    I greatly appreciate your help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	For Sale (595).jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	205145Click image for larger version. 

Name:	For Sale (589).jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	205148Click image for larger version. 

Name:	For Sale (598).jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	138.3 KB 
ID:	205147
    I drained the fuel, replaced the spark plugs with NGKR BR8HS, cleaned the motor, and purchased a new battery.
    I'm going to remove the engine from the ski today or tomorrow.
    The engine cranks very weak, could it be the Starter or the does the battery not have enough cranking amps. This new battery fires my 701 WaveRaider right up. I'll be doing some troubleshooting before I remove it to make sure everything is working great.

Disregard the attached Hull pic, that is from the WR3.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	For Sale (585).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	205146  

Hello,
    I am looking to remove the motor from a 1990 waverunner 3, and was wondering if you had any insight or how to steps. Thanks.

Thread Information