Can I charge the battery in the hull?

Hi all,

OK... this may sound like a very stupid question, (i'm new to Polaris) but can I charge the battery in my Genesis without disconnecting it from the ski?

OK... before you guys say... "what a moron." The reason I'm asking is because on a SeaDoo, the computer (MPEM) is very fragile, and will burn up if it gets a power surge. (you can't jump start them either) I know it was never an issue with my Yamaha's or Kawi's.

Thanks in advance.

+1
    always dissconnect it before charging..

Yes you can. But as stated above, disconnect it first. Walmart sells a $20 battery tender/charger that comes with a quick-disconnect attachment. Simply attach that to your battery, then plug it into the charger.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Key elements regarding PWC battery charging;

- Use a high quality charger. I prefer to use a battery maintainer, such as Battery Tender brand, CTEK, or BatteryMinder.

- Do not use a high output automotive charger (2 amp charge rate is plenty for a PWC battery)

- The charger must be electronically controlled and automatically switch to 'float mode' when the battery is fully charged. Overcharging these small batteries is a sure way to reduce battery life.

- Unplug the charger from wall power before connecting or disconnecting the charger to the battery.

- Never touch the PWC start button while the charger is connected

If you follow these guidelines, you can leave the battery connected to the PWC while charging.

Tip: If you use a high quality factory sealed AGM type battery you may never need to charge it in the PWC because it will always have power.

AGM batteries like the Odyssey PC625 and Deka ETX16LM do not self discharge in weeks or months like the old school lead-acid batteries do. Even after six months in storage, an AGM battery will have plenty of power to start the engine.

Polaris PWC require a strong battery. Spend your money first on a top grade battery.

Thanks for the response guys As said before... I always appreciate it.

The battery needs replaced, it looks old, but it still starts the engine. Once I get it back together, and verify that it's working... it will be replaced with a sealed AGM type battery.

I just wanted to know if the electronics were as fragile as the SeaDoo computer.

Thanks again.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Honda View Post
    Thanks for the response guys As said before... I always appreciate it.

The battery needs replaced, it looks old, but it still starts the engine. Once I get it back together, and verify that it's working... it will be replaced with a sealed AGM type battery.

I just wanted to know if the electronics were as fragile as the SeaDoo computer.

Thanks again.
    Along with a good battery another critical aspect is to make very sure both ends of both battery cables have clean and tight connections. No corrosion, especially at the engine end of the negative cable.

When working on a new-to-me PWC, I always remove the battery cable bolt at the engine, and clean everything. You want a clean metal-to-metal connection. Clean the bolt hole threads, and the bolt. Clean the engine block where the cable mounts. Put it all back together, snug the bolt tight. Then smear some dielectric grease all over to protect it from corrosion.

Clean the other heavy battery and starter cable connections too.

Thread Information