Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help diagnosing a grinding noise? Z

HI! I need a little help? I finished my ext pump install, that was just the new ext spacer and longer shaft along with the cables and linkages! everything else was existing ,So first time out I go to get on plane and hear a terrible grinding so I shut it down! I thought the pump extension was off a little so I clean up everything and reassemble just to have the same issue? The splines look and mic perfect it's a 2002 Virage shaft the coupler is the new molded unit so I pulled it and gave it more torque with a drive shaft inserted in it than it will ever see! it passed the test ? so I'm trying again tomorrow with the old shaft (short) and the extension ring behind the stator to try and eliminate some things! ! also I did test the engine alignment the cheap man way and removed the bumpers and the shaft slid back and forth well! any guesses? thanks Z

Check the pump bearings man

Could be pump bearings.. I know when mine went though they howled like a fiend, no grinding.

Thanks! they are new and smooth! I think it might be cavitation due to the new location of the impeller? I'm going to reseal everything Z

Oh dude I got a terribly grinding noise today while on the lake briefly.

Here's the synopsis... I'm cruising in open water about 56 or so... all of a sudden I loose power the the engine revs up and a terrible grinding of gears sound from the jet pump! I thought I'd just go slowly @4 mph or so back to the dock... cuz it didn't do it until the pro CDI kicked in (which it does alot earlier than the stock)... but I hit it a few times and on the 3rd or fourth gun, something catches and it takes off and acts normal again. No further problems the rest of the day... could my impellor have came loose?! I have no clue, but I hope I didn't mess up my drive shaft or something... but it runs great now, and has never done that before.

Jared

no loose impellers you probably cought somthing in you impeller?
    and then purged it! I have an open grate and sucked up a twig once being an open grate I was able to reach in and clear it that was a horrific noise also! Z

Oh that could be it! right now I do not have a grate at all! So no damage then? But it would go fine at low speeds, just when the thrust kicks in, it would grind! Oh well, it doesn't seem to have any problems now.. I will see more when I get in there to put the new impeller in.

Jared

Well! the trash can damage your impeller or stator and an open grate just promotes picking up debris! however you will soon know when you change impeller! I suggest you put a grate on that puppy! Z

I have a high performance dual scoop grate and an extended ride plate on the way! I put my grate back on tonight.. inspected the impeller looks OK... but the clearance is almost none it seems... and when running in the air you can hear the clanking of the impeller against the pump housing.

Jared

Clank bad!! you might want to clean up the sealing surfaces when you put it all back together! do you have a manual?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information