Thread: 2003 msx 140

2003 msx 140

I purchased a pair of skis in the winter last year. 02 and 03 msx140 Polaris, the 02 runs great. The owner of the skis stated the 03 was not running well when he took it out of the water. I put the ski in the water to test it and it ran for about 10 min then just died would not start back up just cranked over. After it cooled off it would start back up. I removed the thermostat to see if there was any blockage, there was none. I removed the emm there was no blockage in the cooling line. I put a new set of plugs in and charged the battery now all I get is clicking the starter is not turning over. I jumped the starter relay and get nothing, no clicking or anything. I think now I may have burnt up the starter.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

There was no MSX 140 in 2002. The model year is the last two digits of the HIN number plate on the rear deck.

Start with the heavy battery cables. Remove and clean both ends of both battery cables. Make sure the engine end of the negative cable has a clean metal to metal connection to the engine.

Also clean the solenoid studs and reconnect. If shorting the solenoid still does not crank the engine and does not make a sound, then something is wrong with the starter motor.

I have been really busy with work and not had a chance to look at the ski until today.

I know there was no msx 140 in 02. Just stating I bought them together. Should have been more specific my bad. The 03 is the one im having problems with.

I cannot even reach the starter or solenoid to check them. Nor can I reach the end of the ground cable.
    Any suggestion on doing this.

+1
    Solenoid should be right out in the open just forward of the battery. Follow the red cable from the battery - it goes directly to the solenoid.

The ground cable from the battery is bolted to the left rear corner of the engine block, on the side of the block. I think you should be able to see it without removing anything.

Ok. Thats what I thought was a starter relay. I shorted the solenoid and get nothing. I will check the grounding strap next time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00471.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	207021Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00476.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	207020Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00473.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	207019

The first pic I think is a grease fitting that has been broken off in the little square above the drive shaft housing.

The second pic is oil lines, one coming from the oil tank and one on the oil line. They look like they should be connected but they are not.

The third pic is a metal plate that is connected to the wiring harness that is just laying in the ski next to the battery. Just wondering what it is.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderdog View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00471.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	207021Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00476.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	207020Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00473.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	207019

The first pic I think is a grease fitting that has been broken off in the little square above the drive shaft housing.

The second pic is oil lines, one coming from the oil tank and one on the oil line. They look like they should be connected but they are not.

The third pic is a metal plate that is connected to the wiring harness that is just laying in the ski next to the battery. Just wondering what it is.
    There is no grease fitting on an MSX through-hull bearing carrier. Instead, you rebuild the bearing carrier with new bearings and seals every 100 running hours, or less than five years (especially if running in salt water).

There is a metal cover for the drive shaft cover, which is missing in your photo. The side and top bosses on the bearing carrier hold the metal cover in place. The cover is important to prevent water in the hull from spraying up into the engine air intake, and to keep hoses, wires and fingers from snagging on the spinning driveshaft coupler.

The red hose in the second photo is the vent line for the fuel tank. The vent for the oil tank is separate. Each is supposed to have only one end connected. Those are check valves that allow air into the respective tanks as the engine uses the fuel and oil.

That 'metal plate' is an electronic module. It should be stuffed into the slot in the foam that is visible in the background of the photo. That is the factory location for that module

Thread Information