+1

2000 GTX with 951 motor/ NO SPARK

I have a 2000 GTX and I am not getting any spark. I have done all the tests in the manual and I even replaced the front cover with a new mag and pick up and still no spark. There is power to the mpem but nothing back to the coils(white wire) while cranking.......would this lead you to believe that the mpem is bad? Thanks in advance for any help guys.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    there is a fuse on the ignition box, its kinda hidden, check it, and also check the connection at the magneto the grey connection.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    there is a fuse on the ignition box, its kinda hidden, check it, and also check the connection at the magneto the grey connection.

Yea that fuse is to power the mpem, its good. The connection at the magneto is good too. I checked all the wires for possable shorts or gounding and everything is good. Eveything else works, it cranks over beeps fine, guages work just no spark. The 2 white wires from the mpem for the coils have no power at all, even during cranking. The ground to the coils is good. I am thinking it the mpem, anybody else?????

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    RumrummerRon once told me how to check the MPEM by checking it with a volt meter. not sure on this one man

Quote Originally Posted by suck my wake View Post
    Yea that fuse is to power the mpem, its good. The connection at the magneto is good too. I checked all the wires for possable shorts or gounding and everything is good. Eveything else works, it cranks over beeps fine, guages work just no spark. The 2 white wires from the mpem for the coils have no power at all, even during cranking. The ground to the coils is good. I am thinking it the mpem, anybody else?????

This is a carbed ski right? You didn't say DI so Im assuming that it's carbed. I don't think the ignition systems are different between the two. On DI's they actually monitor the coils somewhat and I think that is the main diff. Have you checked pin tensions and made sure a pin has not come unseated in it's connector? Looked for broken wires? These things are sometimes rare but when an mpem is at or over a grand I would want to make dang sure it's not a hogged or pushed out female terminal. The schematic gives you pin designations at the mpem. I would make sure you get the ac signal from the trigger all the way to the mpem. After reading your post I would say you have power and ground to the mpem. That seems pretty obvious. When you check the white wires at the coils you use a test light or meter and where did you ground out to when doing it? I like to use a test light for that myself and use the ground the coil actually uses to clip to. Make sure you have continuity on the wires for the coils all the way to the mpem. Sometimes taking a resistance check of wires is even better than setting your meter to do a continuity check. On the 951's they have incorporated every thing into one box for the computer. I would say if you don't find any thing else related to these circuits wrong then suspecting the mpem would be something to consider. Buying one of those is a decision you will have to make. Well I've thrown out my best ideas of what to check, but if I've left anything out before suspecting the mpem hopefully someone else will chime in. Hope this helps to give you some ideas. Good luck

It never hurts to invest in a decent set of jumper/test wires. Using the proper terminals when checking tension is not a bad thing plus some kits have nifty jumpers for T'ing into circuits. They are one of those things that may sit in your box for a while between uses but I promise you will have days where you go hey I can use those. Don't want to buy a kit then buying just the terminals you need and making them is another option.

http://www.thefind.com/electronics/i...onnectors#sess[search.pagesize.base]=30&page=2

Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    RumrummerRon once told me how to check the MPEM by checking it with a volt meter. not sure on this one man

Test light , volt meter , depends on what your doing at the time. Some times it's just easier to grab the light and if you need to probe wires. Meter leads usually are not sharp enough.

+1
    Thanks Ron, I have done alot of testing and checking the wires and everything checks out normal. the key beeps like normal and it goes into diagnostic mode and it cranks over just no spark. I tested the coils with a test light and grounded it to the coils and nothing so I am pretty sure at this point its the mpem. Have to bite the bullet on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by suck my wake View Post
    Thanks Ron, I have done alot of testing and checking the wires and everything checks out normal. the key beeps like normal and it goes into diagnostic mode and it cranks over just no spark. I tested the coils with a test light and grounded it to the coils and nothing so I am pretty sure at this point its the mpem. Have to bite the bullet on this one.

Well I kinda figured you had. Your profile says 15yrs wrenching but ya never know sometimes. When they moved all the ignition components internal to the mpem seems like they cut out a lot of the guess work with certain things. Like is it the mpem or the cdi. I would hate to have an RFI . Sorry I couldn't be more of a help to you. Does sound like you are on the right track though.

Can you guys explain to me why when I push the start button on my 00 GTX the alarm will sound for as long as I hold the button in? Also not cranking over. Is this an MPEM issue?

Thread Information