Thread: 3 questions

3 questions

I'm ready to buy a new ski. Several of the dealers in my area (Seattle) have 1, 2 and even 3 year old models at discount.

First question is--are there any potential mechanical problems with buying a new ski that has been sitting on the dealer lot for 2 or 3 years?

Second question is--roughly how much should I expect to pay the deaer for a trailer (single ski trailer, not double)?

Last question is--How much $ for the extended warranties for Yamaha and Honda? I want to get the longest warranty available.

Thanks!
    Rick

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rlawler View Post
    First question is--are there any potential mechanical problems with buying a new ski that has been sitting on the dealer lot for 2 or 3 years?
    Shouldn't be, just make sure all the hoses and clamps are tight, this is a common problem with some dealers. Dealer should prep the ski and give it a lake test for you on delivery. Test ride it before purchase. Lift the seat while it's floating on the trailer and check in the hull for any leaks with a flashlight before you sign the papers. Make sure you are getting a zero hour (or near zero) unit and ask if it was ever sold or returned before. Get that in writing, because we have had members purchase what they thought was a "new" ski only to find out that it was a returned model with problems, and dealer never bothered to tell them.

Second question is--roughly how much should I expect to pay the deaer for a trailer (single ski trailer, not double)?
    Not sure about Seattle, around here a decent double will cost about $1,500 depending on the make.

Last question is--How much $ for the extended warranties for Yamaha and Honda? I want to get the longest warranty available.
    Great idea, always get the extended warranty. Pricing is going to vary with dealers and states, you have to shop around. Try posting this over in the ride club section of the forum for your neck of the woods; that way you can get some local feedback.

+1

Lake test/warranty

[QUOTE=YoYamma;1495811]Shouldn't be, just make sure all the hoses and clamps are tight, this is a common problem with some dealers. Dealer should prep the ski and give it a lake test for you on delivery. Test ride it before purchase. Lift the seat while it's floating on the trailer and check in the hull for any leaks with a flashlight before you sign the papers. Make sure you are getting a zero hour (or near zero) unit and ask if it was ever sold or returned before. Get that in writing, because we have had members purchase what they thought was a "new" ski only to find out that it was a returned model with problems, and dealer never bothered to tell them.

Not sure about Seattle, around here a decent double will cost about $1,500 depending on the make.

Lake test upon del. is a great service ,I WISH I knew where, I wish the dealers did that in JERSEY,the best they'll do is run it on the garden hose,maybe in FLA.

With an extended warranty,it usually doesn't cover the basic wear and tear bolt ons(rideplate, intake, impeller) at least the Yamaha(YES) program doesn't.If your going to keep it stock other than a few bolt ons, then by all means get the extended.IF your going to seriously modify your ski(additional boost, larger intercooler ecu reflash )and other aftermarket products , speak to them first maybe have their mechanic do these easy installs,this way there's no conflict with the warranty, but ck with them first.IMHO

Thanks guys for the advice. Exactly what I needed.
    Rick

Thread Information