Oil usage on #1 cylinder (2006 RXP)

My ski is still getting oil into the number 1 cylinder causing it to burn/smoke. I pull the plug and can see visible wet oil on it.

I have done the following:

*Compression check (all 3 cylinders are within 3-5 psi of one another).All were in the high 120's to low 130's cold. I know most say to do it warm but being that its consistent with the other cylinders and I have no oil getting into the 2 or 3 cylinders I really dont think it makes a difference..... however if anyone thinks it really is that important Im all ears.

*Replaced valve seals with new ones.

*Pulled the charger to make sure oil is not coming through the seal, it was dry as a bone on the impellar side.

Im stumped, where else could I be getting oil from, we are talking alot of oil here..... burned nearly a quart in less than 1 tank of fuel????

Anything else I can check or replace? Really getting frustrated here as this has been going on for a few weeks now.

Thanks in advance

Mike

+1
    Mike you should probably do a leakdown test. I know you have done a comp test and the numbers are close but oil in the cylinders is gonna come from bad valve seals(which you already replaced), possably the s/c which you say is dry and from the rings. May be you have a bad oil control ring in that cylinder, that would still show good compression but allow oil which gets sprayed on the bottom of the piston and out the holes thought the side of the piston to the cylinder wall to get up throught the compression ring gap's and into the combustion chamber to be burned..........just a thought because there is really no where else that oil can come from unless you have something broken or a crack in the block or head. Unfortunately you may have to dissassemble the motor to find the culprit.

Tom..... thanks for your help/insight, its much appreciated. After sitting back and taking a moment to think as well as talk to some people I am fearing that the oil control ring is bad on that cylinder too. I am going to run it once more to make sure its for sure still using oil as I only ran it for a few 15-20 second intervals on the trailer but the amount of smoke and fresh oil on the plug lead me to believe that the problem still exists in full force..... once again, thanks.

Broken oil control rings.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MVR 155 View Post
    Tom..... thanks for your help/insight, its much appreciated. After sitting back and taking a moment to think as well as talk to some people I am fearing that the oil control ring is bad on that cylinder too. I am going to run it once more to make sure its for sure still using oil as I only ran it for a few 15-20 second intervals on the trailer but the amount of smoke and fresh oil on the plug lead me to believe that the problem still exists in full force..... once again, thanks.
    Yea after thinking about it a little more it can't be the s/c or the oil would be in all the cylinders so after the valve seals its got to be the oil control rings if its still buring oil. If you need help with that let me know, I can get it done quickly for you.

+1
    I know is an old thread.
    If the oil control ring is faulty, when replacing would it have to be re honed?

Thread Information