Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2003 Polaris Virage - No electrical power

Hi,
    I have an '03 Virage, carburetor, not fuel injection. Noticed the battery terminals were starting to get corroded. Cleaned the terminals and cables, connected everything back up and now there is no current to the MFI, the starter button does nothing and the bilge pump button does nothing. If I short a screw driver across the starter solenoid, the starter motor turns over and the MFI comes to life, although the engine will not start.
    I checked the reset switch, checked the fuses, re-checked all battery connections, including the small black ground wire connected to the block at the negative cable and the small red wire on the left solenoid terminal. The battery is charged and is showing 12.49 volts. When it spins the starter motor, it spins it as fast as it usually does before it starts. Any ideas? Bad starter solenoid? I believe it is the generation 1, black with a metal back.
    All help will be very much appreciated. Thanks!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Have you removed, inspected and cleaned the heavy battery cable ends, especially at the engine block?

Check the small Black battery negative wire for signs of damage or over heating.

Check the voltage on the Black terminal inside the electrical box. One probe on battery negative post, the other probe on the Black terminal. Should read zero volts, even when engine is cranking.

I removed both battery cables and cleaned both ends, the battery terminals, the solenoid connections and the engine block connection. Also cleaned and inspected the small black wire attached to the block where the negative cable is attached. And cleaned the red wire that attaches to the left terminal on the starter solenoid.
    No sign of damage or overheating.
    I checked the voltage from the negative battery terminal to the black ground inside the box. Reading was 0.01mV.
    Still cannot get MFI to display or the starter button to respond.
    Thanks for your reply. Anything else you can think of?

+1
    Make sure all the internal ground straps and metal ground tabs in the electrical box are intact and all connected electrically.

Check the voltage on the Red/Purple terminals. Should be full battery voltage, and should stay there when the start button is pressed.

Do you get voltage on Orange terminals when pressing the bilge button?

After that, trace the voltage through the start button to the solenoid.

Somewhere along the way, you have a bad connection. Either on the power side, or the ground side. I am thinking grounding problem at the moment.

Do you get battery voltage to the solenoid when pressing start?

Thanks for the info. Will check it out Friday and get back to you.

Checked the grounds in the electrical box. All grounds are good.
    Checked the battery voltage - 12.75v.
    Also checked the voltage at the negative battery cable at the engine block - No loss of voltage.
    Checked several other points on the engine - No loss of voltage.
    Checked the Red/Purple terminals - No reading.
    Checked the Orange terminals while pressing the bilge button - No reading.
    Checked the voltage on the start button side of the solenoid while pressing the start button - No reading.
    Readings were taken with and without the lanyard connected.
    What would cause no voltage at these points?
    Thanks!!

Please disregard last post. After carefully looking at the wiring diagram for this ski, I realized I had put the small red wire on the starter side of the solenoid, rather than the battery side. After connecting properly, I now have power at the MFI, the bilge pump works and the starter spins.
    Now, to get back to the original problem that started all this - I ran the ski for about 2 1/2 hours. It was shut off and when I went to start it again to flush it, I had no spark. After reading through several posts, I came upon one that said to hold the bilge pump switch on while trying to start the ski. I did and the ski started up. I pulled the lanyard, hooked it back up again and tried to start the motor again. It would not start. I've not been able to get it to start again since.

Getting back to your original suggestions - I checked the voltage at the Red/Purple terminals - It was 12.74v. When I pressed the start button, it dropped to 10.4v - 10.6v.
    I checked for voltage at the Orange terminals while I pressed the bilge button - I had 12.5v.
    Still no spark.
    Thanks!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by P51Pilot View Post
    ...I checked the voltage at the Red/Purple terminals - It was 12.74v. When I pressed the start button, it dropped to 10.4v - 10.6v...
    That is too low. Voltage must be over 10.6 volts while cranking, or no spark.

New battery please.

Put a new battery in. Charged it up as directed - has 12.80v. Tried to start ski. No spark. starter motor spins, engine turns over, no spark to plugs.
    Checked voltage at the Red/Purple terminals - 12.74v. Checked voltage while pressing starter button -voltage dropped to 11.30v. That's still more than the 10.6v required for spark, correct?
    What else could cause no spark?
    Thanks for your help!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by P51Pilot View Post
    Put a new battery in. Charged it up as directed - has 12.80v.

Tried to start ski. No spark. starter motor spins, engine turns over, no spark to plugs.
    Checked voltage at the Red/Purple terminals - 12.74v.

Checked voltage while pressing starter button -voltage dropped to 11.30v. That's still more than the 10.6v required for spark, correct?

What else could cause no spark?
    Thanks for your help!!
    That 11.3 volt battery voltage while cranking should be enough.

Hold bilge button down while cranking. Do you have spark?

If not, find the Red/Purple wire that comes directly out of CDI module. Where does it connect?
    What is the voltage on that wire while cranking?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information