Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: random spark

random spark

I was checking spark and in all 3 cylinders, I get one spark as soon as I hit the starter and then nothing after that until I hit the starter again. I seen a couple others with this problem but didn't see the end result(one had the red engine though). What to check for? I also have no power to the MFD harness. I wasn't sure what supplied the power so I tried em all. I checked the fuse in the CDI and it looks good.

Oh I did the test with a charged battery as well as it with the charger on the battery

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The proper way to check a fuse is to remove it and check for zero ohms through it. Do not test with the fuse still inserted into the fuse holder.

What is the battery voltage while the engine is cranking? Must be over 10.6 volts.

I checked the fuse the old fashioned way, I looked at it. LOL. I will test it your way. THe cranking volts were in the 12's with the charger on it.

Checked the fuse out of the holder and I got on the 20M setting it started around 12 and worked its way down to about 2.something after a good 10 seconds and was still going down. All the other settings(200K, 2K, 200) I got no response. i checked the voltage with the charger on 15.something and with it off it was just under 14. Seems pretty high. After about a couple mins its at 13.30.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    A good fuse will read zero ohms, or very close. Replace your fuse.

Battery voltage when the engine is not cranking is not a useful measurement.

What is important is the battery voltage while the engine is actually cranking (with no charger connected).

Do not crank the engine with the charger connected.

how long should I crank it for? I know it'll go down below 10 if you crank on it long enough. I will replace the fuse, its cheap anyways. What about not having any power to the MFD harness? Is that whats supplied by the fuse?

Well i changed the fuse and had a hard time finding one. All I could find was a fast blow 1/4 amp fuse. I have 20/20 vision but I could barely see it compared to the one that I took out. Anywho no change to spark or power to MFD harness.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Is the lanyard installed?

Check the kill switch for grounding out.

Ohm test the stator.

Is the circuit breaker tripped at the top of the elec box?

Is there a ground wire jumping from one half of the elec case (starter solenoid, CDI, and elec stator ground wires) going to the grounding block on the other half?

Make sure all wires are on their correct color coded terminals on the circuit board.

Xlint89....as always your the man. I was #1. But in my defense it was there when I pulled it out to start working on it. I have the clip end attached to the mirror, so that I won't lose it on the highway. And when I lifted up the front compartment(which is still up) I guess the lanyard came off and rendered it dead. Thats why I never thought to check as I knew I seen it there before I started. As for teh MFD I checked for voltage between the red/purple and black, there is. I was checking before with a test light and I couldn't get it to light up with the red/purple and the aligator clip on the negative battery post.
    Last edited by tweeder; 07-15-2010 at 10:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information