Car stereo question

Ok, so yesterday morning my car battery was dead so I had to get a jump from my dad. I have a set up subs and the amp is wired to my car battery and after the jump all my electronics were reset (clock, station presets, etc.) and now my subs are not working. I have a dial that can turn my amp up and down and I have turned it all the way up and still nothing. I have checked in my deck for bass boost, sub settings (normal, rev, and off and I have it set to normal) and anything else that could affect my subs and everything is normal. Anyone have any ideas on why they aren't working?

+1
    Check under the hood for the in-line fuse. It might have blown. If a shop installed it? they always will put a fuse inline

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Ok old school car audio guru here....this is a classic symptom of either you not fusing the main power source or you dont have the remote wire hooked up to the the reciever to the amp. Im betting on both cause you blew the amp fuses and you have a dead battery. fuse the main power and add your remote wire and your problem will be solved

I asked my dad tonight and he says I probably blew a fuse...ugh, music has been boring lately =(

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    hey airborne, I have a rocksford fosgate amp thats been tripping out, it lights up the POWER and then lights up the PROTECT light, It no longer pushes any power to my subs, I believe the amp is cooked and no longer has any resistance left,

what you think?

I'l let any one have it, I hate to throw it away since it was a gift from a good friend

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    hey airborne, I have a rocksford fosgate amp thats been tripping out, it lights up the POWER and then lights up the PROTECT light, It no longer pushes any power to my subs, I believe the amp is cooked and no longer has any resistance left,

what you think?

I'l let any one have it, I hate to throw it away since it was a gift from a good friend
    When your protection light kicks on you either have your ohm load set to low for the amp to handle or is grounding out somewhere. How do you have your speaers wired and what ohm are the subs? 2,4 or 8 ohm? if you amp is able to handle 2 ohm and you have 2 2ohm speakers wired parallel you are running at a half ohm and runningtheamp wayyy to hot. let me know what led upto this or if it just happened

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    I tested the amp on a friend set up he has a big speaker maybe like a 18 single sub, I had the amp for a while I got it when I was in high school. it worked then, but you know, if you dont use it you lose it

60% of the time, it works every time.
    what kind of head unit do you have? If you have more than one set of preamp outputs you may have a setting that is not right since the stereo was lost of all power. Check to see if your headunit has adjustments for your preamp outputs. it could be something as simple as turning your sub output "on" or your rear preamp outputs to the right frequincy instead of "full" which is how they are normally set from the factory. hope that helps.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by upgraded View Post
    what kind of head unit do you have? If you have more than one set of preamp outputs you may have a setting that is not right since the stereo was lost of all power. Check to see if your headunit has adjustments for your preamp outputs. it could be something as simple as turning your sub output "on" or your rear preamp outputs to the right frequincy instead of "full" which is how they are normally set from the factory. hope that helps.
    +1

Thread Information