Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

HELP 98 xp bogging down

well i was riding it all weekend long perfectly fine till i let off the throttle after hitting a wave tried to get back on it and wouldnt go anywhere. wouldnt only top out at 40 then gradually got worse and the motor started bogging down to only doing 25-30 mph tops all this within maybe 2 mins. and if i let off the gas it would stall out. but yet when its out of the water not under load it seems to run and idle fine. i have no idea. and when it trys to get to that top of 25 mph it seems like its almost missing or something. just runs like crap untill its out of the water

can anyone give me some tips on where to start? what it could be? pleaseeee

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    read the DIY fuel system cleaning thread. check your grounds, if its a salt water ski replace the ground wire, clean your posts on the battery. other than that check your pump tunnel and drive shaft. you may have sucked something up like a rope or have something wedged in the prop

+1
    Maybe as simple as being a bad spark plug.

well i pulled the plugs out tonight to find out one of the plugs is horribly gapped wrong. one is fine and the other is almost touching the other part im not sure what to call it but the post coming off the plug and the arm are almost touching and it already has some carbon build up on it only being 3 weeks old? you dont think this could be causing it? and its a fresh water ski and the carb filters and fuel filter have been cleaned and fuel lines replaced still no difference

+1
    Id say thats a pretty good culprit...

im going to buy two new plugs but i also just heard of this problem that happens with the keys when a spare is used that isnt programmed right and that and the ecm gets stuck in limp mode? which does kind of seem right cause that day i did decide to use my spare key that i have never personally used on the ski but the owner i bought it from said it was programmed?

+1
    a 98 XP with a 951 doesnt have that technology...only the 4 tecs do

Yea I'm a newb lol found that out. You don't think a stick open rave valve could cause this do you?

when i pulled the plugs the spark didnt look like anything spectacular but it was sparking. and i could def smell the fuel and oil in there. i took it to the lake yesterday to see if it was the fuel filter and carb filters that i cleaned out that were the problem and it did the same thing then i couldnt even get it to start on the trailer thats when i got it home and pulled the plugs to see if water was sitting on top of the pistons and nothing shot out of the plug holes so i kinda ruled out water??
    i have no idea where to go from here with this problem other than an ignition timing or some sort of problem in that area? im going to do a compression test when i get off work today ....

What closed the gap on the spark plug? Assuming the plug didn't go in like that. It was running good then not. Checking your compression is a good next step.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information